1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Material Library Wishlist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Max, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Agreed, there is some subtlety here we're still working on. Many materials also have properties that vary over some condition, for example temperature. I'm not positive how we'll handle that at this time, but we are thinking about it.

For reference, we're looking to work with http://www.matweb.com/ so you can browse what data they have available for a few common cases like metals, composites, etc. and get an idea of the complexity we are trying to wrangle into something usable. Let me know if you have any ideas.

2. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Home> Option >Standard>ISO measures and material spec units or ANSI measures and material spec units or other and do not make confusion in part, assembles and sub assembles.

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Exactly. Useful for creating cavities. For example, ABS has a shrinkage of 0.7%. This would be entered as 1.007 (as it currently is in the scale tool).

homercry.gif

4. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Can we get "REAL WORLD" outputs for physical properties please?

Mass = 5.995837819E1 kg = Mass = 59.958 kg

Mass = 1.251941271E-1 kg = Mass = 0.125 kg

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Oh yes. Good one.

IonSteve, anson and cadtec like this.
  6. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Yes. Scientific notation has thrown most of us at least once. It really isn't helpful to me except for say values <= E-6 or >= E6.
    Otherwise screen space is cheap and would be better to just display fully.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    VoltsAndBolts and cadtec like this.
  7. NateLiqGrav

Like Lew said - Parts have materials. Assemblies are a combination of parts that might be multiple different materials.
    upload_2019-10-30_18-6-9.png

8. Max

Yes, this is quite silly. I'm not sure why someone decided it was a good idea many years ago.

9. Max

Don't be ridiculous, you'll WORK for your measurements :mad:!!

Yes, this is a good idea and long needed. I'm not sure we can fit this into v21, but could definitely be v22. It's not hard, but v21 is quite chock full right now, and this probably needs some GUI so you can select how many significant digits are shown, at what point scientific notation is used, if any, store that in your profile, etc. so adds up to more than just "super trivial".

An easier implementation would be to just not use scientific notation at all. That might be something we could do on short order. Will anyone scream if we stop using scientific notation as the only change, for now? So it won't be 0.125 kg but it will be 0.1251941271 kg.

IonSteve, Jake_Steidy, KRELER and 2 others like this.
  10. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

I can live with that as a quick fix, the rest can come later. :)

KRELER, anson and cadtec like this.
  11. MKR

MKR Member

I actually use it regularly.
    When a customer sends a stp file that is oriented completely crazy, I make an assembly drawing with one part and define the material in the assembly.
    But if the material from the part comes thrue to the assembly when there is only one part then that is fine with me.

/Michael

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  12. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

Hi Max,

I think "Young's Modulus is missing" ? Since you have "poissons ratio and Young's Modulus" are needed for a linear FEA Sim.

Greets, Timo

cadtec likes this.
  13. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

If it's a 'number', it really needs another associated string parameter 'scale'.

14. Janusz Durlej

Janusz Durlej New Member

Hi Max,
    The first , most important step - add editable material.
    The Young's modulus is one of the most important parameters.
    Every FEM is based on it.

Janusz

Win10 (64 bit) Destop AMD Ryzen 3 1200 32 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
    Alibre Design Expert 2019 (build 20065)

cadtec likes this.
  15. PPi

PPi Member

There are use cases. For example, I'm designing a machine that has parts from a supplier. The supplier gives us a 3D model for it, that may consist of several parts. To have weight for this 3D assembly correct, I don't want to go thru all the parts separately from the delivered 3D model to set material for each part to get the weight right. In most cases, it is enough to set density for everything to some calculated value to get the correct mass for the model. Yes, it may not result in the correct centre of gravity, but then again the 3D model may not have every internal part modelled 100% precisely either due to business secrets. For one example I can give you a Briggs & Stratton combustion engine or some hydraulic component.

16. NateLiqGrav

Have you checked if it is calculated using the parts or the assembly materials? I just checked and I got identical results no mater what I changed the assembly material to.

17. Max

I think this is what MatWeb calls "Modulus of Elasticity" - but I'm not a FEA expert nor a mat science guy so correct me if this is not correct. We could name it Young's Modulus in AD.

cadtec and TimoCAD like this.
  18. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Sounds right to me. For example, when sand casting aluminum, the patterns have to account for ~7% shrinkage. On a 24 inch long lathe
    bed, that is more than 1.5 Inches. Makes a huge difference. And at the hobby level, the molder and pattern maker are usually the same person. ;) (Copper is ~6%)

So this property would be used by the pattern maker to get the castings the right size. Not undersized.

19. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Sebastian -- The "coefficient of thermal expansion" would need to be "mated" to a value for "molding temperature" to truly be useful.

20. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Max -- Modulli values may be thought of as "Strain Spring Rates" -- Tensile ("Young's") Modulas may be thought of as a "Spring Rate" described as "stress/length/length" which, as the "length/length" value cancels out, it is displayed as a stress value. -- Lew