1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Filenames & Opening Recents

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by jfleming, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

See attached. Is there anything that can be done to make it so you know what you're actually opening, instead of just guessing? The recent files "window/flyout" does not expand far enough to reveal what filetype it is when you have a long file name. You can not drag the window larger to "unhide" this info, and hovering does not do anything either. Attachment will help explain.

Attached Files:

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

One option is to use the Home Window - so you can see the thumbnail images of the files.

3. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Yeah I suppose, my mind just isn't conditioned to use the Home Window other than when I first open up the software.

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Jason -- What I do is to have (in my 2nd or 3rd monitor) and open Directory that allows me to see all the files at that location. That and using Project and File Type specific naming conventions. Thus, it is not uncommon for me to have a file named something like "20J-M12087 Frame Support Tube -- Rev B.AD_PRT" where "20J" identifies the Project, "M" identifies it as a Machined Part, "12087" is the Part Number and "Rev B" is the Revision Identity. Having the Directory open in an "alternate screen" helps me avoid the "dyslexic fingers" scenario. -- Lew

5. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The simple and user friendly way to handle this is to do as the rest of the world does........ Show the entire filename in a pop up when hovering over the file in the "recent" area...

It is easy for the user, and conforms to most other software, so it is an easy intuitive method.

Yeah, I know, "user friendly" is not a big deal to folks here, but it IS for the rest of the world.

I mentioned this a while back, and got absolutely hammered for it. One reason I now refuse to enter tickets... why bother?

Jake_Steidy likes this.
  6. sz0k30

sz0k30 Senior Member

I know that every user and/or company has its own naming conventions, but I don’t understand the long file names. In the companies I worked for they were very simple. Individual parts were 8 digit numeric (eg. 00478264). Assemblies were 8 digit numeric (eg. 23654892). Design layouts were 5 or 6 digit numeric preceded by ”L-“ (eg. L-45753).

Since now I just play around with Alibre as a hobby and I doubt I’ll ever have millions of parts, my file names are a simple 5 digit numeric.

P.S. I am not disagreeing with your original post about widening the window or hovering over the
    name to get the complete name.

7. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Likewise for where I worked, every standard part and purchased hardware parts were assigned an 8-digit PN by the PLM system (Enovia) that became the file name. The part description became the Title on the drawing and the 8-digit number became the drawing number. Enovia sorted out, by extensions I thnk, which were parts, drawings and assemblies.
    The custom jobs we did were 5-digit numbers (456AA) and all the make parts were assigned a dash number tagged to the job number (456AA-01) and there was (is) a standard naming/numbering convention used for the customs.

For those without a PLM system other means need to be taken to manage all the parts, drawings and assemblies. I think Lew may have the most extensive and descriptive method of tracking his project parts, etc.

Like you, I am using AD mostly for hobby and don't need to care about a PLM system so my little projects get all parts, drawings and assemblies put into a single folder that is named for the project. If I use standard hardware, it will be kept in a Hardware folder. Unique hardware that is specific to the project is kept in the project folder.

As much as we may complain about the naming structure now, think about how it would be if we still had to contend with the old 8.3 method of file naming.

8. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Simply put for numeric file names you need an outside file or program to find what you are looking for. With descriptive text based names you don't.

9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The biggest irritation with the cutoff filenames is that when doing several versions, in sequence (not wanting to lose the starting point that is already accepted), the cutoff is before the version identifier in many/most cases.

Moving the ID to the front or closer to the front to solve that problem, introduces a new problem in that the filenames do not "sort" well, and become harder to find in the project file.

Sorting on file DATE orders them correctly, but intersperses PART files with the ASSEMBLY files, again making it harder to find what you want.

10. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

In the Open files dialog from the Home window you can filter by type and sort by date:

SelectFileType.png

But that won't help much if using the Recent Files from the menu.