1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License issues, Linux, VM and the future of Alibre

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oldbrad, Jan 17, 2018.

?

What OS would you prefer to run your Alibre Design?

1. Windows

45 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Linux

18 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Mac

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I got V3 running in Wine too. On V4 now but haven't tried it in Linux yet.

2. Alexander

Alexander Senior Member

Let me know how V4 is when you get chance. Cheers !

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

It won't be any time soon. Too busy.

4. jviss

jviss Member

One reason I just voted for linux instead of Mac OS is that I now work for Red Hat and have been using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation on my laptop for a year. It's really great. I have been running Alibre on a virtual machine on my 2011 vintage MacBook Pro using VM Ware Fusion. Now, Apple has abandoned my hardware, I can't upgrade to the next version of the OS, so I'm saying goodbye to Macs after 13 years or personal and work Macs. I own a Windows 10 license, I will probably just create a VM on my linux laptop: I have a dock with two 24" Displayport/HDMI monitors. If I find I need more horsepower or a better graphics card I might buy a dedicated server for Alibre and run Windows 10 on bare metal, but we'll see.

5. Hunter

Hunter Member

Linux is great (I run a laptop with Fedora 32 and use it almost daily), but all my other engineering software (like my FEA software) runs on Win, so I'm stuck. There is no way that it will be profitable for Alibre to port to Linux or even Mac, and I'd rather have all that programming effort going in to new features and fixing niggles in the software.

And then, hypothetically, if Alibre decided to port to Linux, then starts the inevitable distro flame war. I can already see it; Ubuntu vs Mint vs Debian vs OpenSUSE vs Arch vs CentOS, vs ... It never stops. Then there is Gnome vs KDE desktop, yet another flame war. No thanks. If you're absolutely desperate for a professional Linux CAD distro, there is a good one out of the Czech republic, just Google it.

PTC dropped Linux support circa 2004/5 for Creo (still Pro/E back then), so that should tell you about it being a business case or not. And they recently bought Onshape, so they know where things are heading...

6. axeme

axeme Member

I've been using Linux since 1994-ish and I completely moved away from any windows installs in the early 2010s. For my needs, other than Alibre, there isn't anything a Linux distro can't do. Alibre is only run in a VM with no internet access except for the brief time it needs to perform a license check. Now that Steam has Proton and Vulkan even the vast majority of my library of 500+ games run on Linux now.

If Alibre was supported only on distros that have paid support, like Red Hat and Ubuntu, used a solid base environment like Qt or wxWidgets, I don't think there would be many flamewars or technical issues. Well, at least not like Emacs vs. vi, or win10 wiped out a win 7 install when it wasn't asked for. This would mean that it would have to be redesigned from the ground up to be mostly system agnostic, which I doubt would ever happen.

It would awesome for more companies to move away from windows but I can understand most of the reasons for staying there. One day I hope for a microsoft-free world, but I'm not seeing that anytime soon.