1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King's English to American translation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oldfox, Jul 6, 2018.

1. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

To you Brits out there, (not sure what the Aussies speak) what is "gunmetal" in American?
    I don't remember if it is "drill rod" or something else.
    Help please and TIA.

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Gunmetal is usually a zinc alloy. Silver Steel is what is called Tool Steel or Drill Rod here in the USA.

3. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

"Silver Steel". Thanks again, Lew, for the memory KITA and the gunmetal answer.

4. Markaj

Markaj Member

Gunmetal is a kind of bronze - we used to cast bits for marine valves in it at a place I used to work.
    Also plaques/nameplates.
    Not a zinc alloy as in mazac or potmetal in that sense. - actually I've just googled it; Red brass over there!

5. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

I guess I should have thought of that myself. Thanks for the info. "Bronze cannons" makes sense.

6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

If you guys refer to silver steel as tool steel then what do you call silver steel?

7. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

I've never heard "silver steel" used over here, other than maybe by a visiting european.
    "Tool steel" is used for "tools" (bits, cutters etc.) Go figure. And "drill rod" is just a tool steel that is in rod form.

8. Markaj

Markaj Member

Silver steel is just a highish carbon steel that is ground to a tight tolerance, it comes in 13" lengths. The flat version is gauge plate.
    Tool steel is the stuff you make cutting tools from.

9. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I know what silver steel is. We also call it 1.2210. But my question was: if you guys refer to silver steel as tool steel then what do you call silver steel?

10. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Sebastian -- When polished, all steel is "silver."

11. Markaj

Markaj Member

I dont think they have it!

12. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

Correct.

We don't use the term "silver steel". We use the term "tool steel" which takes in a lot of uses. Cutting tools for example and "Drill Rod" which is a "SHAPE" of "Tool Steel". So it depends on what you are referring to as to whether you would use "tool steel" or "drill rod" verbiage.
    So in a nutshell, tool steel refers to a class of steel. Drill rod is tool steel in cylindrical form and is normally available in small quantities as O-xx or
    A-xx referring to Oil or Air hardening. You would use it to make drills and reamers for example.

13. idslk

idslk Member

Wikipedia: "Gunmetal, also known as red brass in the United States..."

14. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

Got it! Thanks.