1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to group features together?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JustSid, Nov 20, 2020.

1. JustSid

JustSid New Member

First of all, I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if this is either the wrong forum to ask or asked already (I did try the forum search and google, I swear!). I'm using Alibre Atom for my 3d printing needs, but one of the features that I can't seem to find is the ability to group features together. Say I have an extruded object with two different chamfers on it, that means I'll have 3 features in the sidebar. What I would love to do is group these 3 features together, kinda like a folder or so. It would not only help with organizing everything neatly, but I also often use the mirror feature when making symmetrical things and it'd be awesome to just select a group of things to mirror instead of 3 individual features.

Does such a thing exist?

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Sadly the ability of creating folders is not one of Alibre's features, although it has been asked for on several occasions. When applying a mirror you can select all the features you want to mirror so they are mirrored in one operation.

3. JustSid

JustSid New Member

That's too bad, I'd really like to organize my side bar by logical features. Oh well, I'll survive, it's just cosmetic anyways. Thanks for the quick reply :)

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Please go ahead and make to suggestion to Alibre. I have been asking for this for years. The more people ask for it, the likelier it is to happen.

Mika and TimoCAD like this.
  5. jc-s

jc-s Member

I've been asking for it for years too. It's not just cosmetic if operations can be applied to the groups (e.g., pattern, mirror, etc). Not only does it make visual organisation simpler, but it helps document how the part is made and makes the design safer because when you go back to modify it later you don't accidentally include/exclude the wrong features when making a change to something that's built from a complex set of features.

Drutort and bigseb like this.
  6. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Sid -- The real question is what you are calling a Feature. Now, min you, I know essentially nothing about Alibre Atom -- so apply an appropriate size sack of salt to anything I am posting here. (1) Features, as normally defined, are created in a progression normally established by Position in design and Function of design. (2) Component Parts making up an Assembly are similarly organized -- though should they need more "order," SubAssemblies (and SubSubAssemblies) usually do the trick. (3) I have been arguing for "Grouping of Constraints" for years as (say) one "Group of Constraints" may create an "operational position set" when on whilst another "Group of Constraints" creates a different "operational position set" and only one such "set" may be "active" at any one time. [And no, such a "control" has yet to make it into the "development chain" for Alibre.] -- Lew