1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing WizoGrid - Integrated Spreadsheets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ajayre, Sep 20, 2019.

1. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

Done for the next release, however... it seems the AD API does not allow distinguishing between multiple copies of the same part when it comes to parameters. Perhaps I am overlooking it in the API documentation... This means that if you change the value of a parameter on one copy it will also change on the other copy.

Andy

GIOV likes this.
  2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Isn't that the desired result. If you change a parameter of only one instance of a part so it differs from all the other copies then it becomes a different part. If you want it to be a different part then maybe a Save As is in order.

ajayre likes this.
  3. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

4. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

I don't know. Configurations allow changing parameters in a single copy of a part in an assembly, right?

Andy

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  5. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

6. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

7. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Yes, to apply specifically the spline in WizoGrid as show in the link above.

8. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

At Nate pointed out - this is what Alibre Script is for. Or you could run the macro in Excel then import into WizoGrid.

Andy

9. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Sad with this side solution that moves away from the enormous integrative potential that WizoGrid has.
    Anyway thank again for your enthusiasm.
    Giovanni

10. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

OK, explain to me the benefits of doing this in WizoGrid over scripting. Convince me. :)

Andy

11. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Right now the connections between the variables of the excel add in with Alibre are very fragile and commonly have to be reworked despite the link tool. That's why I think that boosting WizoGrid for the specific cubic Spline equation will make the design much easier.
    The idea was documented by myself some time ago in this forum. You can see the link:
    Thus, with the design of some essential stations the Cubic-Spline makes it possible to easily define the intermediate ones, especially for structural frames or preliminary areas and Inertia calculus by Simpson Rules.
    At the end you will save the drawing with wizoGrid without connectivity issues, so doing the software more practical for my normal task.
    And further more, allow the connectivity between Alibre Script and Wizogrid in the cells that needs specific code
    plus the other improvements already described above in this topic.
    I think You dedication will be great for many small business less than crew of 10.:)

12. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello GIOV,

is your spreadsheet example "function spline" based on arrays/lists beginning with an element with count 1 instead of 0?
    upload_2019-9-30_13-51-9.png => periodcol(1) = 1 ? periodcol(4) = 8 ?

Regards
    Stefan

13. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

Yes, I can see and understand what you want, but why is doing it in a spreadsheet better than doing it in a script?

Andy

14. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello GIOV,

i've made a quick test translating your VB into AlibreScript...
    seems i'm done l little mistake somewhere transposing the lists...
    Calling my AlibreScript "spline function" for x =1 to 7 gives the following results:
    Spline = 5.0
    Spline = 6.42222222222
    Spline = 7.77777777778
    Spline = 9.0
    Spline = 10.13125
    Spline = 11.0
    Spline = 11.58125

It's the first try (not very sophisticated...) and in comparision to your spreadsheet not correct!
    Maybe someone can find the bug...i'm slightly dazzled due to shifting the arrays...
    Code:
    #here are the values from your spreadsheet picture
    periodcol = [1.0 , 4.0 , 6.0 , 8.0 ]
    ratecol = [5.0 , 9.0 , 11.0 , 12.0 ]
    x = 8

def spline(xxin,yyin,x):
      xin = [0.0]
      xin.extend(xxin)
      yin = [0.0]
      yin.extend(yyin)
      if len(xin) <> len(yin):
        sys.exit('Error: Range count does not match')
      yt = [0.0]
      u = [0.0]
      n = len(xin)
      for z in range(n):
        yt.append(0.0)
      for z in range(n-1):
        u.append(0.0)
      for i in range(2,n-1):
        sig = ((xin[i] - xin[i-1]) / (xin[i+1] - xin[i-1]))
        p = sig * yt[i] + 2.0
        yt.append((sig-1.0)/p)
        u.append(0.0)
        u[i] = ((yin[i + 1] - yin[i]) / (xin[i + 1] - xin[i]) - (yin[i] - yin[i - 1]) / (xin[i] - xin[i - 1]))
        u[i] = ((6.0 * u[i] / (xin[i + 1] - xin[i - 1]) - sig * u[i - 1]) / p)
      qn = 0.0
      un = 0.0
      yt[n-1] = (un - qn * u[n - 1]) / (qn * yt[n - 1] + 1)
      for k in range(n -1,1,-1):
        yt[k] = yt[k] * yt[k + 1] + u[k]
      klo = 1
      khi = n
      k = 2
      while k>1:
        k = khi - klo
        if xin[k] > x:
          khi = k
        else:
          klo = k
        k = khi - klo
      h = xin[khi] - xin[klo]
      a = (xin[khi] - x) / h
      b = (x - xin[klo]) / h
      y = (a * yin[klo] + b * yin[khi] + ((a ** 3 - a) * yt[klo] + (b ** 3 - b) * yt[khi]) * (h ** 2) / 6.0)
      return y

for loop in range(1,x):
      test = spline(periodcol,ratecol,loop)
      print 'Spline =',test
    Regards
    Stefan

15. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

The answer seem simple.
    The Dynamic modification of the part or assemble into the DesignSpace. The script is powerful but is Statics, so the part that you have created by this tools isn't modificable and you need replaced its with the new one with the desired modifications. In my area Dynamic modification through the WizoGrid will be very useful if the variable keep its definition when you save the part or assemble. Example: Dynamic Intermediate Frame Modification by CubicSpline Interpolation Equation.
    GIOV

16. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello GIOV,
    You can let the script easily change your EE values and with this you can modify your existing part, you don't have to create a new one !
    You can let the script run through a loop to create automaticaly different splines, you can ask the user to type in value pairs and much more...
    Can you post an sample part including the spreadsheet to have a look at it? How many value pairs (points for the spline) you're talking about?
    Regards
    Stefan

17. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Interesting, but seem better the WizoGrid than AlibreScript for visualize better the modification and do extra calculation as Area, Volume, Cg, Inertia by Simpson rules.
    Of course, I am very interest in learn the AlibreScrpt and its capability. I am preparing a part that you will figure out one of my task in AD.
    Thanks very much,
    GIOV

18. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

Last weekend I made an example that I promised Stefan to explain why I want wizogrid to have the ability to integrate the excel or LibreOffice through AD add- in or internally that has the aptitude to use the Spline equation that I mentioned earlier.
    The latter would be very convenient because it would avoid potential connection difficulties between the external spreadsheet and the model.
    Stefan: Tthe point source has three columns L, H, V. so you will able to do the AlibreScrip implementing the Spline equation or Andy should implement the Spline equation as standard for his WizoGrid.
    The model is a simplified hull.
    You need modify only the Source H, V, Column , run AD add-in and update and all 6 sketch & Loft will be updated follow the right column of L,H&V.
    The excel spreadsheet will ask to run macro.
    GIOV.

Attached Files:

19. axeme

axeme New Member