1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insert an axis in 2D workspace that is non-planar.

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by oldfox, Aug 30, 2019.

1. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Is it possible to insert an axis in the 2D workspace that is non-planar with either plane? I need to use it as the reference for a "rotate cut".

TIA

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

I suspect you have confused many of us.

By 2D do you mean 2D drawing, or 2D Sketch in 3D part workspace?

Either Plane? By Definition 2D can only include one plane...

I can guess what I think you mean, but am not confident it'll match your ideas.

3. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

I apologize for the confusion. It was crystal clear in my mind.:D
    2D Sketch workspace.
    Either Plane? OOPS, I was just looking at it wrong. You're absolutely right.
    I'll try to submit a simple sketch with the idea. (not my project sketch) :)

4. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

I need an axis superimposed on "Line 2" so I have a hole in the cylinder at the required angle to align with other structure.
    This would be done with a "revolve cut". The angle is really an obscene number!:eek:

Attached Files:

5. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Chris,

insert an angeled plane using YZ-Plane and Z-Axis
    upload_2019-8-30_18-10-9.png
    insert new axis at intersection of Plane<2> and Plane<3>
    upload_2019-8-30_18-9-43.png
    Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

6. DavidJ

Insert Axis whilst in sketch mode will give same effect as by IDSLK, just by picking up on line in Sketch 2.

Though I'm not sure if this what you were asking for - I couldn't find any Line 2, so still not clear what you are trying to achieve.

7. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Hi Stefan,
    Thanks for the help.
    Your procedure is what I normally use. In this case it doesn't work because of the necessity to "input" the angle.
    Using copy/paste of the angle of "Line 2" for the "Insert Plane" angle gives me the results you can see in the sketch below.
    The 10mm dimension, pulled off to the left is the reference I have to work with and as you can see, it is "exact".
    If at all possible I need to avoid using an angle for the axis.
    This hole would be the first item in a cascading series of constraints, therefore it needs to be doable.:(

Attached Files:

8. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

@ David
    Hi again. The problem is using an angle which as you can see from the sketch is really way out there as far as precision is concerned.
    I was typing while you sent your last post.

I'll try using the line directly for the axis.

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Chris,

If you have the sketch<4> as your base, you will get the angle as a parameter in the EE

upload_2019-8-30_19-22-44.png

the plane in your model has the angle below (using copy/paste?)
    upload_2019-8-30_19-23-8.png

it will be better to use the parameter:

upload_2019-8-30_19-23-24.png

then you should get the following result
    upload_2019-8-30_19-23-49.png

does this fit your needs?

Regards
    Stefan

10. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I use the "Insert Axis from Sketch" and "Insert Point from Sketch" several times and it works wonders for creating Planes that are tangent to cylinders for making holes in/through those cylinders.
    Line_Axis_Point_Plane.png
    AxisPointPlane.png
    AxisLine.png

Attached Files:

11. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

This is what I'm trying to accomplish. Getting an axis to use for "revolve cut". So far, using any angles, I don't get the axis coincidental to the
    "Line<2>" which is the bottom long ling in Post 4. There is always a visible angle shift. Ideally I could add an Axis / Plane to an open sketch by
    picking lines. But alas, that doesn't work. Non-planar Axis.jpg

Stefan, I tried using the Global Parameters and Equation Editor but I still got that error. (rounding??)

12. HaroldL

Check the images I uploaded.

13. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

David, I looked at both of them. I understand the Plane insert but how did you get Axis<3> without inserting an angle in the dialog?

14. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Maybe I was too quick on the mouse but the first time I looked I only saw 2 pics. Now I see all three. I'll study the third one a little more.

I've never used that tool so I'll have to play around with it til it becomes more intuitive to me.
    Thanks.

15. DavidJ

Edit the sketch with your original lines in, Insert Axis, click on the line which axis should match....

16. HaroldL

17. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

another method (near to Harold):

upload_2019-8-30_21-19-50.png

upload_2019-8-30_21-21-32.png

18. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Harold, excuse me. I directed post 13 to David by mistake instead of you. Didn't mean to slight ya.

Also Link in post 16 returns -Page not found- error.

19. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

I'm really missing something very fundamental here. I can't have "Sketch Edit" and "Insert Axis" both open at the same time. One will
    kill the other.

20. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Exactly what command are you using? Just as you have stated... "Insert Axis from Sketch" and "Insert Point from Sketch"? If so, where are those
    tools located? I've looked through the menus, ribbon (yuk) and RMB. I don't know what else to try.