1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving the Thread Tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lew_Merrick, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Giov -- Open XXX" programs were part of the Project GNU Free Software Foundation (a student group from MIT). They were required to "disassociate themselves" from MIT (though I no longer remember when that "requirement" was made) and became "Libre Office" shortly thereafter. Libre Office Calc will (for the most part) read and write xlsx spreadsheet -- you just lose portions of the Calc ( *.ods format) strengths when doing so.

To give you an idea, I have a LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet that provides "material & gauge (thickness)" access to all "American" standards for sheet & plate and provides minimum bend radius values as well as Lockheed K factor values for them (and I am looking appropriate information for British Standard, DIN, and JIS materials to complete my efforts). -- Lew

2. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

So with Libreoffice we have a lot of spreadsheet data that was filled by MIT's students & scientist with his material's lab and of course that also yourself compiled ?
    But again :
    LibreDesign sound that is from MIT too...only was added A later for better search..... or I am wrong?
    Thanks in advance,
    GIOV

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  3. Lew_Merrick

Hi Giov -- The fact is that (if you will) "Modern Computer Technology" came from US Department of Defense programs that took place at various "preferred colleges" around the country. The one I am most familiar with was the Advanced Research Projects Administration (ARPA) project at MIT. [My brother;s high school sweetheart was a member from 1968 through 1972. She needed somebody to fabricate and solder together Printed Circuit Boards. Guess who got "elected?"] My "claim to fame" from this period is that I was one of the people who taught Steve Ciarcia how to solder! -- Lew

axeme likes this.
  4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello GIOV,

Staroffice (the "mother" of Libre and Open Office) was made in L√ľneburg/Germany, then bought by SUN ,staying at the name, then SUN was bought by Oracle. The Office suite was renamed to Apache OpenOffice. This is still the name up until tody. Later a group of programmers went away from Apache and then they developed LibreOffice.

Regards
    Stefan

5. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Like Study & Reproduction of Electronic things from area51...and late Silicon Valley micro circuit....
    The author of "Build Your Own Z80 Computer" and Byte magazine's hardware collection.Congrats!. Many thinks to learn to fabricate shipper super laptops.
    be eager to know which is better Open or Libre Office.
    Anyway, Thanks for you interesting answers.
    End the "Off the Topic".
    GIOV

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  6. Lew_Merrick

Hi Giov -- Actually, as somebody who has been to "Area 51," I can tell you that it has been a munitions test site since the Spanish-American War. The reason that "outsiders" are kept out is the quantity of "unexploded ordinance" lying about. An "individual" needing to be there is "guided" by three "EOD guides" using explosive's sniffers and metal detector to layout a "path." The "guide" you follow has "ink pads" on the soles of his "boots" and you have to place your feet in the center of the "ink marks" he makes. -- Lew

7. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

8. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

For that reason are so similar. Hope you implement 2D&3D point for Libre & Open Office.:)

9. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User