1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving the Thread Tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lew_Merrick, Aug 7, 2020.

1. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,

as far as i understood, the thread definition is "only" used for the hole/tread callouts (or next version for a bitmap...), or is there any other use like "moldeling a 3D thread, calculation a thread connection,..."? If there is no other use, help to get why there is such a big discussion about.

Regards
    Stefan

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

ACME, Square, and Trapezoidal are symmetric - so yes Stefan, I don't see any conflict here. Even non-symmetrical threads (e.g. buttress) have same basic information.

If physically accurate thread modelling was offered, then non symmetric threads would have to offer different thread profiles. Even some 60° symmetric threads have subtly different profiles - but that isn't usually shown on the drawing...

Nobody is claiming that the new arrangement for threads is perfect - it is a step forwards, and happens to have quite a lot in common with some other CAD systems.

Tapered threads are supported - though I haven't seen full details yet, so can't comment in detail.

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Actually, none of these Threads are "supported" (except through the designation "Misc Inch/mm Thread")! More to the point, including the (Symmetric or Non-Symmetric) Angle Data will lead to better "CNC Integration." I have (under "User Inch Threads" or "User Metric Threads") Steel Thread Insert" threads so defined. It works into a rather "deep" mess. And that is a fact. -- Lew

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Do you have "CNC Integration"???
    If you need the whatever threaddata so hardly, make a poll to see how many people are out there, who also need these (in my view) exotic threads.
    If there are enough it will be a good argument, if there is only one...well...
    Regards
    Stefan

5. Lew_Merrick

Hi Stefan -- Back in the days of Generic Software it was quite common to hear the refrain, "There are the few -- and then there's Lew. -- However more than 56,000 paid user's cited me as reason they "bought into" Generic Software. -- Lew

6. Lew_Merrick

Oh, and to pour more gas on the fire, what about Left Hand Threads. Do they not deserve their own Category? -- Lew

7. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Anything that goes against the grain Lew, deserves it's own category! :p:D

8. DavidJ

Unless LH threads use different dimensions for a particular class of fit to their conventional counterparts, I personally don't see any benefit to having as separate category for a LH thread (and having to duplicate dimensional data).

I would wish for a 'LH' check box in the hole and external thread tools - this would
    • Add 'LH' or 'Left Hand' (or the equivalent in user language) to the callout to be used on the 2D drawing.
    • Set the thread texture image for that item to the opposite handed helix (so it is more obvious on screen - though I'm not sure if anyone would notice).
    We can debate if such a check box should be available for all threads, or if a setting for each thread type should control its availability.

This is my own take on the subject - not Alibre's position. Don't go getting the idea that this will appear in v22 - it won't.

jasonmburns likes this.
  9. DavidJ

Having said the above - if a user wants to copy an existing Excel thread worksheet, change the sheet name and display order, and adjust the custom display names by adding LH - that's perfectly possible.

10. Lew_Merrick

Hi David Jupp -- 1) I have to "scroll through" the massive list of improperly designated threads prior to getting to my listings that are properly identified in accordance with (US) FED-STD-H28. 2) A Left Hand thread is in a different "class" than a RH thread. We should recognize that. I believe (but no longer truly recall) that I uploaded a Library of Thread BOOLEAN's that allow one to create "visually correct threads" for such things as: ACME, Square, and LH Threads such that they appear accurately in the Drawing. 3) It would be "very nice" were the "Thread Designation" copied into the Feature Identity and "passed" to the Drawing Dimension tool. -- Lew

11. DavidJ

Lew in the new system you can change the display designations to be whatever YOU wish.

You can separate the data into as many thread series as YOU wish

You can choose to NOT DISPLAY and series that you don't wish to use.

If YOU want to treat LH as either a separate series, or as a separate class within a series you can do so. It's just a matter of how you arrange the data.

Being in a spreadsheet format, it's much quicker to copy, edit, insert new, etc. than in the current system.

12. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Lew, we all agree the existing THD file based system sucks. That's why we made a new one for v22. Many of your comments indicate to me you may not have seen it. Please check it out.

Https://www.alibre.com/version22/ in the data management section.

BeEdHa likes this.
  13. Lew_Merrick

Hi Max -- As somebody who worked with "the kid" who created the modern spreadsheet program (at MIT in 1982-3) and had it pirated from him by those who were supposed to protect his work. [Brian was his first name and I no longer remember his last name as he was killed in Hungary in the late-1990's.] I detest doing anything that promotes that kind of theft!!! -- Lewe

14. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Out of topic:
    Do you refer to Brian Silverman a Canadian computer scientist who was in the MIT? This person is still alive or I am wrong.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Silverman.

15. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

I am unsure what this has to do with what we are discussing.

oldfox and simonb65 like this.
  16. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Or it could have been Doug, Jabe, Charles and Bill or Dan and Bob, or someone else "claiming" to be the inventor of "a" spreadsheet.

17. Lew_Merrick

No Giov -- He was a Hungarian who returned to Hungary in the late-1980's in the attempt to recover. His program (first distributed on the ARPANET in 1982) was "AsEasyAs123." It was the basis of his (Master's or Doctoral -- I no longer remember which) Thesis. As his work was developed at MIT it had more "engineering functions" than have appeared anywhere else in the intervening years. On his death the program became property of the (then) Free Software Foundation and, today, is part of the Libre Office package. -- Lew

18. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Lew, VisiCalc ... Apple II (1979), was ported to IBM's (early PC) platform by 1981 and I personally used it quite extensively in my teens as part of my foundation computing studies education! ...

upload_2020-8-20_16-59-50.png

19. Lew_Merrick

Simon -- The first thing that resembled a Spreadsheet was the "Matrix Add-In" supplied for the Electric Pencil long about 1974. It allowed you to "Sum" rows and columns of numbers as well as certain (limited) "Multiplication" operations. I remember it well. Long about 1976 or 1977 the VisiCalc program was released (for the Apple1 as I recall). SuperCalc came out a bit later. I found neither of them that useful. -- Lew

20. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

I understand. Sad this person gone without the necessary credit for his effort.
    Continuing off the topic:
    What is the difference between Open Office Spreadsheet and Libre Office?. What is more powerful to read txt Script and faster to run with Alibre Design.?
    I am curious.
    Thanks in advance,
    GIOV