1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving the Thread Tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lew_Merrick, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

We have a Thread Tool that covers general 60° V Thread types moderately well. However there are Square Threads, Trapezoidal Threads, and other "non-60° V Threads" to consider. How can and should the alibre_unicode_custom.thd dataset be appropriately expanded?

2. Lew_Merrick

OK, I regularly use ACME threads in my work. Lowenhertz threads are commonly used in optics. I apply Square Threads on a "less than alternate Leap Year" basis. About half as often as I need Square Threads, I apply Buttress Threads. So, my first question is, "How much broader should the Thread Tool be expanded?" Ideas & comments please! -- Lew

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

My main complaint about the thread tool is that you couldn't link the value fields to GP/EE. That's being added in the next release. Beyond that I have only ever needed metric coarse, metric fine, bsp and UNC/UNF/UNEF. Adding other thread types... yeah why not although honestly I can't see myself using them anytime soon.

4. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

At the moment thread type numbers are hard coded. The hard coding should be removed and threads of any new type should be able to be added to the .thd file with a new type number.

The available thread list should be generated either at startup or on-the-fly and read from the .thd file.

It shouldn't be necessary but would be useful to have a standard list of thread type numbers. From experimenting when I wrote the thread editor it seems that once a thread is defined, it is written into the part file and the .thd file is not accessed again. This would suggest that it wouldn't matter if people have threads with different type numbers.

5. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello @albie0803 ,
    have "we" seen this? Is it a AlibreScript based thing?
    Regards
    Stefan

6. Lew_Merrick

Hi Albie -- I am not a coder, but the Thread Type has been controlled by an Alibre defined integer as long as I have been working with it -- thus 1 through (at least) 9999 types of Threads ought to be "definable" and, at least from my perspective, Alibre should set such "definitions." Were it to be completely "redone," I could argue that (say) "Metric Thread Types" ought to be assigned values from 1 to 999 and "Inch Thread Types" be assigned values from 1001 to 1999. Mapping such "Identities" could well be "mapped" by a "User Discussion Group." ??? -- Lew

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

You can add a custom file. It IS definitely a pain in the backside to do it, however, which is just silly.

Of course for the off-hand srtange thread one can add a note, but then it has to be re-done every time manually. Doing thi gs manually when you are working with CAD seems ridiculous, so.....

It depends on how many hobby types actually want that feature, since it seems that professional users are merely "tolerated" with Alibre.

And I admit that there are MANY other things I would want first, most of which are of direct use to a hobby user (Library parts, and working directories come to mind, as does a loft that predictably works, chamfers that actually work reliably, etc, etc, etc)

8. Lew_Merrick

And how do you think I did my STI threads? Mo. it is a PITA and not all that useful should I add: ACME, Stub-ACME, Centralizing-ACME, Dardelet, Buttress, and the other half-dozen threads that crop up in my universe! -- Lew

9. Lew_Merrick

OK, how should threads be classified (other than as “inch” and “metric”)? The highest level of description ought to be either “Symmetric” or “Non-symmetric” as I see it. Thus we have (several classes of) 60° V Threads, (several classes of) non-60° V Threads, Trapezoidal Threads (by included angle), and Square Threads. These would sub-divide into “Cylindrical Threads” or “Tapered Body Threads.” The “Classification System” needs to be allowed for such “divisions.”

More to the point, a "Tapered Body Thread" needs to actually taper in form when applied. Right?? -- Lew

10. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

As long as we are "wishing" for thread tool enhancements, how about separately definable thread depth and drill depth along with adding independent C-sink and C-bore to far side to go along with current near side for through holes.

11. Lew_Merrick

Hi Harold -- I have been asking for a "copy" of the thread designation X depth into the basic Descrirption for a decade now. More to the point I have provided "minimum pilot drill depth" information over the same period of time (though you would need to specify the "type of tap" to make that work correctly). -- Lew

Attached Files:

12. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

We will be releasing some info soon but in v22 the thread definitions will be housed in excel and will be much easier to edit and share.

jfleming likes this.
  13. albie0803

14. Lew_Merrick

Attached is a Proposal that I hope will lead to more distinct discussion... -- Lew

Attached Files:

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

16. albie0803

2 things, if you are going to issue the excel file then please correct Course to Coarse
    Can we have Tapping size as the default hole size please.
    Otherwise I LIKE IT!!

17. DavidJ

Albie - I've highlighted you post to Max & QA.

I've just corrected the spelling in metric & unified coarse series in the 'company' file on my test system. This actually highlights a nice feature of the new system - you can change the name to whatever you wish, both on the Excel tab (which is for just to identify the tab - not for display), and for the display name. It doesn't break anything if you change the name. The 'custom name' for each line can also be whatever you want to be displayed. If you don't like the name Alibre has provided, just edit it to suit. It doesn't even have to be consistent throughout a series.

albie0803 likes this.
  18. Lew_Merrick

And it accomplishes nothing with respect to tapered threads or non-symmetrical threads or non-60° V threads. -- Lew

19. DavidJ

The current version of the file includes the following 'non-60°' threads

BSW, BSF, BA, BSB, M.E., ISO Pipe (BSP)

The user can add other thread series as desired.

20. Lew_Merrick

But (leaving it only to Symmetrical Threads) not Square Threads or ACME (Trapezoidal) Threads nor (effectively) any type of Tapered Thread! Let us be real, please. -- Lew