1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing tube from Solidworks design

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Desertrunner, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Desertrunner

Desertrunner Senior Member

I have a car chassis design done in Solidworks and I want to bring it across to Alibre my issue is that the tube is not a complete part for example if it has a bend it then is composed of a heap of bits. The file is being exported in Step when sent to me.
    Is there a better file type for transferring to Alibre?

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

What version of Alibre are you using? What version of SolidWorks is generating the Model? These play a role in any (realistic) answer.

3. Desertrunner

Hi Lew,
    The Alibre is is 2018 and I need to check with my guy later today but I understand he has the current Solidworks version.
    Tony

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Typically step is fine. Note that 'a heap of bits' will import as an assembly, not a part. That isn't an issue, just something to be aware of.

5. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

When you say "the tube" , is that a single tube or the complete chassis? If it is the chassis then bigseb is correct, the assembly will be "a heap of bits". If "the tube" is a single tube of the chassis then how was the bend created in SolidWorks? Was it a Sweep, a series of Extruded Bosses or an assembly made up of a series of tube segments?

Can you post a screen shot of the imported chassis or the "problem" part?

6. Lew_Merrick

Tony -- Dependimg om the version iof Alibre you have you should be able to load the SolidWorks files directly. Just be aware that they will be imported as Dumb Solids (just like STEP). However, it could save you some aggravation.

7. Desertrunner

Hi Guys,
    What happens is the part when import is a Assembly as per the pic.
    upload_2018-7-8_19-26-15.png

8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Thats an assembly. Either save it as it is (remember to reconstrain or anchor every part) or union everything to create a single part.

9. Lew_Merrick

Obviously, whomever created this Model does not know much about Modeling.

10. Desertrunner

How do I turn it into one part?

11. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Create a new part and coolean unite each into the new part.

12. MikeHenry

MikeHenry Alibre Super User

I think Sebastian meant to "Boolean" unite the separate parts into a single part.

13. Lew_Merrick

Something like this!

Attached Files:

14. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I did. Typo.

15. Desertrunner

Thanks guys