1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a step file created from an stl file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcdammeyer, Jun 12, 2019.

1. jcdammeyer

jcdammeyer Senior Member

Since Alibre doesn't import stl files anymore I had a friend convert 3 stl files to step files. When I try and load them in Alibre I get the dialog for import file options. Click on that and then nothing. No error. Nothing. Doesn't matter if I check the heal box or diagnostics etc.
    Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I don't think there is any geometry in your files. Open the files in Notepad and you'll that there isn't any geometry defined in the file. Compare it to another STEP and you'll see a big difference.

Have your friend try converting the files again with different parameters, if there are any, and see if that makes a difference.

3. jcdammeyer

jcdammeyer Senior Member

Thanks. Not know what is supposed to be in them I saw lots of stuff but didn't realize that the actual object wasn't there.

4. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Here is a sample bracket that I got from somewhere and exported it as STEP214. Open it in Notepad and notice all the geometry definition listed. It should be about 420 lines in Notepad compared to 52 in your file. Makes me think something is missing.

Attached Files:

5. jcdammeyer

jcdammeyer Senior Member

Thanks. Some of the other guys on my metalworking news group took a stab at it and I was able to import a very large step file. I then used it to draw my own sketches constrained to the original. Then suppress the step file and extrude and cut. After that it was easy to change a couple of dimensions so the back edge was 2mm closer to the center line of the clips.

So all is good. Thanks.

Attached Files: