1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import dxf file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gld, Mar 23, 2021.

1. gld

gld Member

How to import dxf file into Alibre Atom?
    I have searched this form and the web and not found an answer.

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

From Home Window - click Open icon, then navigate to the DXF file, click Open.

3. gld

gld Member

Hi David,
    Your solution only opens the dxf into drawing, Thanks for that, but I want to import a dxf into a sketch all ready created.

4. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Once in the drawing, copy and paste the sketch from the drawing to a part sketch.

5. DavidJ

I answer the question that is asked....

Try this video, which shows the entire process. The video is for Alibre Design, but the same workflow applies to Atom3D.

6. gld

gld Member

There is no copy button on any of my tool ribbons. the only paste option is a right click in a sketch window, and it is always grayed out.
    I have the dxf in a drawing window. I select all items an use control C. Then in my sketch i want to paste into use control V an nothing happens. I am using Windows 7 OS, which shouldn't matter, but!!!

7. DavidJ

Looks like you have to use Ctrl+C for copy, and Ctrl+V for Paste in Atom3D.

Ctrl+T (paste stamper) allows you more control over placement of the figures.

8. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

I believe you missed step 2 below.
    1. Open the DXF in Alibre Atom3D
    2. Right click on the white space and then select Activate Sketch on Sheet
      1. This allows you to interact / select / copy the individual sketch figures.
    3. Select the desired figures.
    4. Right click one you've selected > Copy or just press Ctrl + C
    5. Open a part workspace
    6. Create a new sketch
    7. Press Ctrl + T to use the Paste Stamper to position your copied figures at the mouse cursor. Or Ctrl + V, which pasts the figures at the same coordinates they exist at in relation to the 2D drawing sheet they were on when copied, which will almost never be what you want. Ctrl + T is far better in this case.

9. gld

gld Member

After reading port #2, I got the dxf into a drawing. The first thing I did was try control c and v. It did not work ,hence I ask more questions. Well I don't know what happened but it is now working . Go figure.

Thanks all for the help.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021