1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import .DWG as 3D

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by flacustom, Mar 15, 2020.

1. flacustom

flacustom Member

Hello, I downloaded a file from a company for a part that is listed as an Autocad 2D/3D file in .DWG format. But it will only open in Alibre as a 2D drawing. Is there a way to import or open this file as a 3D part?
    Thank you,
    - Dusty

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Alibre only supports 2D DWG import, not 3D

The file you have may be 2D or 3D - no easy way to tell which. If it is a 3D file, it may be possible to use another CAD application to translate to STEP (for example) that can be imported into Alibre.

If the file is 2D, then see this video

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Dusty -- What you do is Import it into a Drawing, activate the Sketch in the Drawing and Copy All. Open up the Part as a "New Part" in Alibre, create a Sketch in the "New Part", and Paste the Sketch from the Drawing there. Does this help? -- Lew

4. flacustom

flacustom Member

Thanks Guys! Yes I have copied and pasted 2D sketches in the past and extruded them in the case of a metal extrusion shape. But this part is a contoured wood part and when opening in an Alibre drawing space only shows the top outline view of the shape. I was able to open the .DWG file in an expired demo version of Rhino and was able to view the side view contours in the other workspace windows, but can not save as STEP since the demo is expired.

5. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Dusty,
    you can use the SimlabComposer Lite Version (free) to take look at the file if it's 2 or 3D. Translation to another format is not enabled in the Lite...
    Regards
    Stefan