1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am stuck

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by papajoe41, Mar 7, 2020.

1. papajoe41

papajoe41 Member

Hi,
    I have been going along fine and have my part saved and try to Extrude the part and it asks for the distance and I put in 2.000" and it takes me here. And its stuck there.
    Papajoe41 Screenshot (16).png

2. papajoe41

papajoe41 Member

I found the solution. I have to click on Sketch1 on the side and that fills in the sketch field and then it will extrude.
    Papajoe41

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Yes - that's right.

If you go to extrude immediately after exiting a sketch, the sketch field will be auto filled, so you don't realise that it is a field you can change. If you do anything else after exiting the sketch, that will 'shift focus' to something else in the interface - so when you select Extrude, it doesn't know what you want to extrude.

4. Joe Gwinn

Joe Gwinn Member

It's exactly this kind of necessary detail that is absent from much of the training materials.

5. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

If you click your scroll wheel on your mouse (assuming your mouse is a 3 button one) in your sketch when you have finished creating it, while it is still active, a menu pops up and you can select features from there which will use the current sketch automatically.

6. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

In fairness to the team at Alibre, the dialog that popped up does hint at what is missing, so it is fairly intuitive without a manual (do you have a manual for Win7 or Win10?),

i.e. Sketch field is highlighted (light blue) and the OK button is greyed out, and will remain so until you have entered the minimum amount of data/references for the operation to take place (which are always highlighted if empty) ...

upload_2020-3-11_10-13-52.png

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The tutorials are actually pretty decent, or at least they "were". I would recommend them as the very first move to learn. Asking questions here is effective, but slow and sufferng from a need to explain exactly what you do not understand, when you don't know what to call it nor really what to ask.

But, you DO need to learn the typical ways the program "wants" data, the "interaction language". It took me a while to understand the "system", but after a bit of study of the tutorials and actually doing work, I suddenly "got it" and the program became easy. What can be an issue is the use of descriptive terms which are not defined, maybe that has been fixed by now.

If you want a confusing program, try the "Affinity" graphics layout program. It is very capable, and reasonably priced, but the tutorials are sometimes fairly quick, with the assumption that you really already know what is going on. Same problem as Alibre, of terms not defined, with the added fun of translating from British to US English.

For that matter, Keyshot has many of the same issues with the online manual. Goes with the territory

8. papajoe41

papajoe41 Member

Right after I wrote that e-mail, I was looking at the progression of steps listed on the left side. I was thinking, that in order to get back to the original sketch, I need to save the sketch by naming it and then proceeding with the next operation. This way I could choose that 'named sketch' anytime I needed it. One thing for sure is that I am getting braver in trying things out.
    As for the manual, I have found that there are things mentioned to do, that are not included in the Atom3D version.
    Papajoe41

9. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Just watch all the Alibre Atom 3D tutorials on YouTube!

10. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

In my opinion either there should be a different help file specifically for every version.
    OR
    Every single page should have a sub header saying which versions the feature is in.

simonb65 likes this.
  11. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Nate -- One of my long time requests is that every CAD Product's Manual begin with a "Lexicon" as the terminology has been so completely "redefined" as to make finding numerous concepts nigh unto impossible! Lofting as used in "modern CAD" bears nigh unto zero resemblance to what I learned as "lofting" in the 1960's (etc.). -- Lew

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  12. Joe Gwinn

Joe Gwinn Member

The lightly shaded entry box is not nearly as obvious as one might hope. I eventually figured it out, but it would have been far more efficient is the tutorial had been explicit about this - It would have cost one sentence.