1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up planes to drill angled hole at bottom of another

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by laverne3ca, Aug 29, 2020.

1. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

I'm trying to drill a small angled hole into the radius of a flat bottom hole and can't figure out how to set up the planes to do that. The angle isn't important for now, I haven't got that far, the inner dimensions still aren't fixed. I've included a jpg of what I want to do and the file as far as I've gotten. Any help would be appreciated 100.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Attached is what I think you were asking for. Look at the Equation Editor Values to see how I Named thing to make them easier to find and modify. -- Lew

Attached Files:

3. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

my proposal...

Attached Files:

4. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

Wrong hole, it's the one 60° to that one(1/8 NPT x .355) where I sectioned the part and the reference surface is the .04 radius at the bottom of the hole but I understand where you're going. This is what I got, don't know if it could be easier but .... Thanks for getting me going in the right direction!

Attached Files:

5. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

Looks like we arrived at the same results but how did you place plane 10?
    idslk valve.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Nick952

Nick952 Senior Member

My attempt, Just to show there's many "ways to skin a cat"

Annotation 2020-08-29 194043.jpg

Attached Files:

7. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

upload_2020-8-29_20-47-41.png

laverne3ca likes this.
  8. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

That's quick and simple but now, if I have to go in and change the angle, how do I do that? How did you get the line constrained to the center line of the torus and the work plane?

9. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

Plane tangent to a surface, learned something new! Thanks!

10. Nick952

Nick952 Senior Member

Used 2D Project to sketch on edge of radius and used this sketch to constrain a concentric circle sketch. (all Sketch 7)

The centre node of this circle is used to constrain the 3D sketch line, that will then pivot around this point and can have an angle dimension applied. This line is then used to generate a plane and the node on this plane (from the end of the line) is used as the centre for a 2D Extrude Cut.

I've put all the steps back in this file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  11. laverne3ca

laverne3ca Member

Much faster than the way I did it, obviously I need more practice in 3D!