1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to print a long sheet metal pattern?

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Bill S, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bill S

Bill S New Member

I have a sheet metal part that unfolded is 8.5" by 40.7". I want to print this part on a standard letter size inkjet printer. Does anyone know how to do this? I will tile the prints together on the sheet metal so I can accurately cut it.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. MainJet

MainJet Member

In the past I have do this:
    Export pattern to 2D (dxf), then draw a bunch of rectangles around the part and them print in 1:1. The cut and tape them together to create the pattern in one to one.
    Often the printers are not that accurate tho and you might need to calibrate the printer (if possible). I have a waterjet now so much easier :) as is does 2 x 4 meters sheets

3. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

Generate a 100% scale PDF. Then use a PDF poster program (I forget the name sorry, but it is free) that automatically splits the PDF up into pages, complete with cut marks.

jfleming and simonb65 like this.
  4. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

what I do is in the drawing program the blue box is your printing area. If you have something on the drawing to use to line up the pages, I print the first page, then I move the part in the blue box to print the next section and so on.
    I print 12 inch circles on a reg piece of paper by moving the drawing and print 4 quadrants. I have to have lines on my drawing so I can line up my pages.