1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make this plane at an angle (Figured out How and Explained for Others)

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by KeithH, Mar 27, 2021.

1. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

How would I put a plane on the outer curved surface at an angle? In sketch 2 I drew a line at 100 degrees and another at 65 degrees from the circular centers. I want the planes to be on the outside at the point of the lines on the outer circle at the angle of the lines.
    I cant figure it out .
    Thanks,
    Keith

i included my part file and picture of what I'm trying to do

Attached Files:

2. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

While in sketch mode you can insert an axis using a line or reference line in the sketch. Also while in sketch mode you can add a 3d point using a node in the sketch. Just be sure you are using the insert axis or insert point from the sketch tab or menu. Then after adding those axis and points you can exit the sketch and insert planes using the them.

KeithH likes this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

I still don't understand. I know have an axis for the line and also a point, but i cant figure out how to get the plane to go using them. This file has the axis and point now

Attached Files:

4. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

OK, I figured it out (NateLiqGrav helped). So, if anyone else wonders how to do it.

-- I added a reference point where the reference lines meet the outer circular areas, then turned the two reference lines into axis' by choosing "insert Axis from sketch" from the menu and clicking my angled reference line.
    Then insert reference plane option from menu, and I choose the "Axis/Edge and Point/Vertex" choice.

-- Then i chose the option for "normal to Edges/Axis"

-- Then clicked the angled axis i made and then the reference point i made on the edge of the circular part and it worked.

Hopefully this helps someone else if they are trying to do something similar. Maybe there's a quicker way, but I'm learning

Attached Files:

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  5. KeithH

KeithH Senior Member

Here is another angled plane that i just did, but this time its angled from a flat face. I have include a picture and also the part file, so anyone learning can see how it was made. (it follows the same as for the earlier one on a curved face i.e making the reference line and then inserting an axis from a reference line option from the menu. )

To the people learning, when you start making new sketches on another plane after you have started the part, it helps to "Project to Sketch" then click the faces or whatever you want to project to you active new sketch. I choose to project them as reference geometry and make check the box for maintain associativity so that if you change something before it will update this new sketch and keep it all good.

By projecting it to the new sketch, you can then use that projection in the current sketch for your constraints, aligning, etc. (it helped me, so hopefully this will help others like me learning)

Sincerely,
    Keith

Attached Files: