1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to identify constraints linked to a part in a complex assembly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NigelL, Jun 10, 2019.

1. NigelL

NigelL Member

I have a fairly complex assembly with well over 60 constraints. Is there a quick way to highlight all the constraints that are linked to a particular part in the assembly?

I can obviously expand all constraints and check each one, but that is very time consuming.

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Nigel,

you have "two"(not completely correct, but for now...) occurrences of constraints
    1. for all constraints on assembly level
    and
    2. for constraints which are connected to the part
    upload_2019-6-10_15-22-58.png

is it this you are lookin for?

Regards
    Stefan

NigelL likes this.
  3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Nigel -- I realizr that it requires "after tthe face Renaming" that than "as created Naming," but you can Rename Constraints so that you can easily tell which Constraint does what for your Assembly Model. ???

4. NigelL

NigelL Member

Hi Stefan

Thanks - this answers my question perfectly!

I am familiar with the "assembly Level" constraints (1) but had never noticed the "Part Level" constraints (2) - since they are collapsed/hidden by default.

Regards, Nigel

5. NigelL

NigelL Member

Hi Lew
    I had renamed a couple of seemingly important constraints but not all of them. As luck would have it, I then needed to find and adjust "Align(41)" :). But Stefan's answer is solves this nicely.
    Regards. Nigel

6. Lew_Merrick

Hi Nigel -- The thing is to get into the habit if Renaming all Features as you create them to create a (if you will) "History Path" for others to follow (or yourself) when the need arises. [Every other day in my experience.] Among my "recommendations" for Constraints are: (1) Useing (say) RMB to Accept, LMB to Reject, and MMB to Modify a Constraint; and (2) Have an "Active Rename option" as you complete Consignment application.

7. PaulProe

PaulProe Senior Member

It would be a nice touch if Alibre would insert the part name as part of the constraint name, to cut down some of the typing
    ie, Funnel_Mate, then you could either accept that as a name or modify as desired.

The big hangup on renaming is all the extra steps you have to go thru to do it.

8. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

It's not a mind reader. Personally I rarely rename constraints and features. That way when I see something renamed I know it must have been important.

oldfox likes this.
  9. Lew_Merrick

Paul, You do realize (do you not) that each Part within an Assembly contains a list of the Constraints that apply ti it.

10. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The information is already available. See pic.

Expand the part tree, expand constraints, and you see a list of the ones applying to THAT part. constraint tree.jpg

11. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Ahhh 2018 hurts my eyes now ;) It's crazy how fast you get used to something.

12. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hey Max, don't let our eyes get hurt with 2018 to long...:D

13. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

No one wants to get this darn thing out the door more than us. It's been a slog!

We have other cool stuff we want to get started on! Just waiting on some updates from HOOPS.

MKR likes this.