1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a dynamic spring

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by MainJet, May 29, 2018.

1. MainJet

MainJet Member

Is there a way to create a dynamic spring that will compress/expand in an assembly ?
    I can draw a fixed spring just fine

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Not really as that would require a dynamically linked reference Plane set to control the Helix definition. What I do is to create Configurations for Free Length, Initial Compressed Length, Fully Compressed Length, and at least one Intermediately Compressed Length. It is then only an "issue" to activate the correct Configuration within the Assembly. [Not, mind you, that this has not neen part of my List of Requested Improvements for quite a while.]

3. MainJet

MainJet Member

Thanks, I was afraid it would be something like that.
    I need to figure out the absolute minimum clearance required for the spring, but the spring is also bending a bit.
    Aware of any software around that will do this sort of stuff ?

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Have you noticed my Spring Design "resource?" There's one for coil compression springs and another for hairpin double torsion springs. Both meet SAE and DoD requirements.

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I do this using configurations in some mould assemblies. Its not dynamic but close enough for my purposes.

6. MainJet

MainJet Member

Thanks for the above.
    Lew, where is the Spring design resource ?
    I usually draw it myself but it is always good get something which is easier :)

The issue I had was to bend the spring inside the the assembly to ensure enough clearance.
    Bugger all wall thickness to work with so the more I can leave in the better

7. simonb65

simonb65 Senior Member