1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy a whole design project to a new location

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Hunter, May 4, 2020.

1. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I just tested:
    IF a user creates copies, renames or moves things in Windows then Constituents WILL be wrong if not corrected by a Save As (Save All As) prior. It doesn't try loading them to see if they exist or not.

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Yes - I always assumed that would be out of date - as I said it uses the information that is embedded in the file.

3. NateLiqGrav

I guess my point is a user that doesn't know the pitfall of copy, rename and move in windows wouldn't know this either.

4. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The "save-as without saving" approach does give you the information as to where parts come from. BUT, you do have a save operation open to do it, which is actually very bad practice as far as "version control" is concerned.

Since there is already a known process to get the information, it SHOULD BE in the actual program. There is no reason to leave it out, and every reason to put it in.

The location of the parts that are in use is, after all, VERY important if you have used a modified part, or are using a particular version of a part. You want to know that you have the version you think, and that it is NOT going to be saved back over something else.

Since we do not have working directories, or parts libraries, and it looks as if we may never have them, this is doubly important for anyone doing client work.

5. MikeHenry

MikeHenry Alibre Super User

I need to copy an old project with a few dozen parts to a new location and revise a few components. I can do a "Save As" on the main assembly and make sure that all parts are copied to a new folder but many of the parts have associated drawing files. However, my understanding is that doing a "Save As" on a drawing will save both the drawing and the associated part in the new folder. Won't that give me a duplicate of the part already saved with the assembly?

6. ROTTER

ROTTER Member

In my opinion there is no good way to copy an full design - assemblies, parts, drawings, and BOMs on the same computer. The only effective method is to simply copy everything to a disk on another computer. The disk must have the same name and the same directory structure. I do this between a desktop computer and a laptop. And it works.

7. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Export your project as a Package (from the top level assembly). That maintains associations wherever you unpack it. That's how we share issues and queries on this forum. Not sure about drawings though as I've never shared those!

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

I also haven't shared those, but a snippet from the Help file says:
    upload_2020-10-14_13-27-13.png
    Good luck...

Regards
    Stefan

simonb65 likes this.
  9. MikeHenry

Thanks Simon and Stefan - I'll give the Package export feature a try.

10. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Simon -- But you need to know that Packaging from a Top Assembly Model will not include the Drawings associated with the Project. -- Lew

11. MikeHenry

Thanks for pointing that out Lew. I'm on an older version - *** 2019 64-bit [Build 20072] *** - and I gather that newer versions do nothing to improve the situation for copying an entire project (including drawings, parts, sub-assemblies, and assemblies) from one folder to another folder. Is that true?

12. Lew_Merrick

Hi Mike -- I have said this many times -- the besst way to archive a Project is to create a Directory Structure that is used on a Project basis. The approach I use is to create (within my Design Directory system) a Project Directory and create Sub-Directories within it in a consistent and immediately "follow-able" manner. Thus, I have a Project Directory that has Sub-Directories named: Installation (what most would call "Top Assembly"), Purchased Components, Fasteners, and Common Components. The Installation directory is where the Models, documents, and Drawings for the Installation Assembly are stored. It is divided into Major Sub-Assembly directories, one for each Major Sub-Assembly as well one for "Common Parts." Each Major Sub-Assembly directory is divided into Minor Sub-Assembly directories and (if you will) "Parts Unique to the Minor Sub-Assembly." Thus, I can "zip" the Installation Directory and have a complete set of all files in a simple to recover archive (though if I recreate it in a different location I will have to "re-connect" file paths to recover everything). -- Lew

13. NateLiqGrav

@MikeHenry The answer to your question is yes.
    The only way to easily copy an entire project is doing a Save (ALL) As from a single drawing file. If your project uses multiple drawing files then you would have to Save (ALL) As from each drawing file resulting in duplicates. The duplicates will need to be deleted and the new assemblies and new drawings will need to be opened and have missing parts reassigned to them and then do a Save. It's 100% tedious and human error prone.

14. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

What a pain, it's the only real negative of Alibre, that and poor surfacing tools. Really hope that the concept of Project files is introduced in the future.

15. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

It works, if you mak only one "Master drawing" which will have all single part drawing sheets in it.
    Open your assembly, make the first assembly drawing, open a part of the assembly from within the assembly workspace, add a new sheet to your assembly drawing and put in the singlepart views and so on until every part has a sheet in the masterdrawing.
    Then you can make a package from that "Masterdrawing" which contains all parts and all drawing sheets.
    Not my favorite, but a way...

Regards
    Stefan

simonb65 likes this.
  16. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

To bad that Package files don't work like SolidWorks Pack and Go which collects ALL files related to the file selected for packing. I think it will only go down the relation tree though, from the file (part, subassy, assy or drawing) that is selected to the bottom part/drawing related to that file.

17. MikeHenry

That's what I was afraid of - it looks like even V22 (released today or yesterday) doesn't have better support for making a copy of a complicated project. That's really a shame and is one of the reasons that I didn't renew maintenance this year, for the 1st time since 2006.

18. MikeHenry

Sorry Lew, but that's far too complicated for the projects that I've done in the past. I've played with Onshape a bit and that seems to have a much easier way of dealing with duplicated projects. Too bad that it runs $1500 a year and fails to work at all (for private documents) if the annual fee is dropped.

19. Lew_Merrick

Hi Mike -- It is mainly a means of organization. When the Project has reached a "resting stage," a (7-)zip archive (properly identified) creates a full copy of everything related to the Project in a (relatively) easy to restore condition. Having played this "game" with CAD systems since 1972, it is the best proceedure I have come up with. -- Lew

20. MikeHenry

Lew - you use CAD a lot more than I do - I have a major (multi-part) assembly perhaps once a year or so and mostly single parts the rest of the year. As a consequence it has not been worthwhile for me to be as rigorous as you are in organizing files and projects and I'll not be starting now.