1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy a whole design project to a new location

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Hunter, May 4, 2020.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I often (not always) have models where there are a relative few different fairly simple parts, but there are a lot of them used. That tends to be a different issue from a case where there are a lot of different and potentially complex parts, each used once or perhaps just a few times in the project.

The practical requirements for drawings and the drawing structure are very different in those two scenarios. One can be handled manually, the other is better not handled that way.

Both needs would be served by a "project directory", and many needs related to that would be vastly helped if a "parts library" function was available. However, a "parts library" comes with drawings associated with each library part.

I do not know how pre-existing drawings would integrate into a "one-piece all encompassing" drawing structure. They work fine with the "assemble your own" type structure, so long as the drawing of the part can be on a separate sheet. It's more difficult with multiples per sheet, since there is some problem of "linkage".

The "Alibre model" of workflow assumes a drawing will be created for each part in the model, at the time of model creation. Linking a pre-existing drawing from outside into a drawing appears difficult, but a pre-existing linkage to a separate sheet part drawing seems to be OK.

I think the ability to have some sort of functioning part library, and the ability to have a "project directory", neither of which exist now, is something that needs to be a priority.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

I think something like THIS - without bling-bling - would be fine!!

bigseb and simonb65 like this.
  3. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I will second that. It operated as I would expect, and seems perfect. Renaming a part in Alibre is hard, and renaming a list of them is hell in a box. Rename, move, replace, all in one spot. Nice.

It is needed in Alibre.

Did you notice the other little thing that just came up in passing?

There was a direct one click way to find out where EVERY part in the assembly was actually located. He used it when he showed that "lugs" was located on the desktop. That ONE little feature is a really great way to make sure you are using a part from where you THINK you are... to determine if you are using a part from the wrong source, so that you may be in danger of corrupting your source file, etc.

albie0803 and TimoCAD like this.
  4. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

I like it, I want it, I need it to also work with M-Files vault. Please.

TimoCAD likes this.
  5. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Sound like an opportunity for a script.

TimoCAD likes this.
  6. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

I think it'll be a HUGE script. Maybe a fully mature function or even more - a program.

7. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

But I think this can only be done by Alibre LLC itself in the original source Code in Cpp.

But all you scripting addicts, feel challenged! :D

simonb65 likes this.
  8. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

If you want to find where all the items in an assembly are stored, you can use the Constituents function from RMB context menu in file explorer.

9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

You CAN do that, But you have to go select the home window, then open the file menu, then find the model version you want, then RMB, then click "constituents". I cannot find where it can be done from the model space. And "help" seems not to relate to V21 on this issue (along with many others).

There is a substantial difference between that clickety-clickety-clickety click path, and being able to RMB on the workspace and get it, or RMB on a particular part or subasssembly and get the information.

That, and similar issues are often lost on people who do not spend hours working with the program on real projects with real time lines and real deadlines.

Just sayin..........

10. DavidJ

I didn't say it can be done from the model space. You can do it from Windows - just right click on the Alibre Assembly (or Drawing) file - constituents is on the context menu.

May not be exactly what you want - but it may help some, and is lot easier than writing a script.

11. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Yes, that works, but then you have to navigate to the correct directory and then do the RMB.

Point is that Alibre makes it relatively difficult to determine just where a part is coming from.....

You can also start a "save as", and look in the list to see where things are going, then cancel the operation. You can expand the list sideways to get the full path, I have it "compacted" so as not to present too much information.
    That is actually the easiest method at the moment, but it is a "workaround".. Location list workaround.png

12. ROTTER

ROTTER Member

But this is only one true method. Right click on the Alibre Assembly (or Drawing) file - constituents is on the context menu gives sometimes fals results.

13. DavidJ

False results ? Would you care to give some detail of that...? Are you absolutely certain that you have not copy/pasted/renamed files outside Alibre and hence messed up the assembly data?

14. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

Again, THIS would be a wonderful extension - it doesnt need to be the same, but the core idea behind it should be in it - which brings AD another step near to the big players. To compete with others sharps our senses and opens our minds. It's all about performance, usabillity and user experience. Workarounds are ok when they do what you want to achieve, but thats not the case with RMB-constituents - It's no where used search.

15. ROTTER

ROTTER Member

My technical support said that checking components in Alibre is more reliable than windows RMB and constituents. It happened that Windows RMB after copying to another place showed incorrectly. When copying, I always change the name of the main assembly, e.g. rev.1

16. DavidJ

What do you mean by 'copy' - are you copying/re-naming outside Alibre?

The Constituents function on the context menu pulls the data it uses out of the Assembly or Drawing file. It uses the same information that will be used when you open the file in Alibre.

17. ROTTER

ROTTER Member

Really, I used to copy / paste through Windows before and there were problems. Now I'm copying through Alibre - save as. I always check the ingredients through Alibre and it's OK.

18. DavidJ

I'm still not clear - do you have a case where RMB Constituents has given bad results?

I'm trying to understand if there is an issue that needs to be investigated...

19. ROTTER

ROTTER Member

It was few years ago. I reported the problem to support. They advised checking ingredients from the Alibre level. I am doing so until now and I have no problem anymore. I don't remember the details. That is why I supported the JST method as 100% sure.
    "You can also start a" save as ", and look in the list to see where things are going, then cancel the operation"
    Now I always copy like this:
    1. Save as (under a different name - rev ...) from the level of Alibre assembly drawing to a new location under a new name.
    2. I copy all other drawing and BOM files to the new location under Windows.
    3. I open each drawing in a new location and show manually where its costituents are.
    It is troublesome but sure. I don't have all the drawings on one sheet because I don't like it and there is a problem with the BOM for each drawing.

20. DavidJ

ROTTER -

I don't mind what method individuals choose to use - I was only pointing out 'Constituents' for those who are not aware of it.

For any method it is important that it gives the correct results, which is why I asked the extra questions...

Unless someone can give an example of a fault, I'll assume that RMB -> Constituents does work correctly.