1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to boolean cut an intersecting part

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by TimB, Oct 11, 2020.

1. TimB

TimB Member

Hello People

Thanks for taking the time to look at my question

I modeled a reducing tee, then a half tube and placed it in the location i want it to occupy in the end.

The goal is to work out the shape of the half tube so it will fit inside the tee. But despite a few of trying to figure out a way to do it I get either errors or just it just fails to draw. So many ways I tried nothing worked

Any suggestions?

BTW I had to export the tee, then import it to even get the ability to do section view.

I can supply more files if need be

Thanks

Tim

Attached Files:

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello TimB,

if you want one to take a look into your assembly, it will be necessary to post all part + the assembly file. The best way to do this ist to create a package and and post the package file.

Regards
    Stefan

3. TimB

TimB Member

Hi, Opps

Sorry about that.
    Attached is a new asm and the originals. No converted files

Tim

Attached Files:

4. Nick952

Nick952 Senior Member

As Stefan posted, you still need to create a Package File of the Assembly and attach that, rather than the individual files you have at the moment.
    Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  5. TimB

TimB Member

Oooow Again sorry

I learn something new every day. Never knew I could do that

Tim

Attached Files:

Nick952 likes this.
  6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Tim< I tried doing a section view (failed) then I tried an Extrude Cut but got this strange error:

StrangeError.png

So I suppressed the stub for the Tee and rolled the Dog bone up the tree until it I could cut the model and found that you have a gap in the model:

Modeling Error.png

I think that may be an issue that needs to be corrected before a successful Boolean can be performed.

IF you know the dimensions of the profile why don't you create a Revolve Boss for this part?

7. TimB

TimB Member

Thanks for spotting that. The tee is made from compressing and extruding the copper so there are a lot of odd profiles internally.

I'm going to cut it in half the as you said do a profile and rotation.

Again thanks for your time and finding the issue.

Cheers Tim

8. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Is the half tube something that you will be installing in the Tee? If it is then it may be something to model Top-Down by Inserting a New Part into an assembly.