1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I embed File properties in drawing notes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JimRawlinson, Jun 30, 2020.

1. JimRawlinson

JimRawlinson New Member

I learned how to build a drawing title block using a combination of notes and fields, can I embed drawing fields into the body of a drawing? A great example is a drawing identification note. These change on occasion, and need to be on the drawing itself vs. in the drawing title block. Can I set it up to show a drawing field in this location?

Thanks in advance
    Jim Rawlinson - Alibre newbie!

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Fields can be placed anywhere on the sheet -IN THE TEMPLATE. Fields don't work if placed directly in the final drawing.

I'm not really clear what it is you want to do - move the position of something, or change the content...? Can you elaborate?

Notes generally are not best in Templates - Labels are used for that.

3. JimRawlinson

JimRawlinson New Member

I guess I use notes a little differently than some.

There are two notes that appear on every drawing I create.

1. IDENTIFY WITH PART NO AS FOLLOWS;
    (PART NUMBER)
    ( METHOD OF APPLICATION, FOR EXAMPLE, INK STAMP, WIRED PAPER TAG, LASER ETCH)

2. MATERIAL: ( MATERIAL)

Since these notes change and I did not want to explode the drawing format sketch each time, I was hoping to place them directly on the drawing. It sounds like this is not going to be the case. So I should just start a new drawing, explode the sketch and place the notes?

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

I still don't follow...

If it is meant to be PERMANENT for every drawing use a LABEL in the TEMPLATE

If it is DYNAMIC (populated from model properties) use a FIELD in the TEMPLATE

If it is variable from case to case, add a NOTE to the specific DRAWING.

You can combine a LABEL saying
    1. IDENTIFY WITH PART NO AS FOLLOWS;
    with a FIELD picking up Part # from the model
    Then another LABEL
    ( METHOD OF APPLICATION, FOR EXAMPLE, INK STAMP, WIRED PAPER TAG, LASER ETCH)

You can even put them one on top of another - so all the fixed text could be in a single LABEL (including a blank line or two) , the FIELD is placed to sit where the blank lines are.

If you look at the default provided templates, you'll see that many things in the 'data block' work like that - combining a LABEL invariant text with a FIELD for the properties of the model.

Does that Help

5. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Jim -- The approach I use to create my Note as:
    1) Identify on part with (identity method) Part Number and Lot Number approximately where shown using letter of a nominal
    capital letter height of .25 inches.

The Material and Stock Size designations are normally part of a Bill of Material designation.
    -- Lew

BeEdHa likes this.