1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Screen>>View full filename?

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by jfleming, Mar 24, 2021.

1. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Is there a way to view the entire part filename from the home screen?

example attached of what I'm dealing with. The long filename is cut off and when you have two very similar parts, you can't tell which one you are opening.

Attached Files:

2. JST

JST Alibre Super User

There have been MANY request to at the very LEAST show the entire filename if you hover over the icon. As far as I know there is no way to see the entire name. I would be happy to find out how.

Just about ANY informative filename (other than a bare part number) will exceed the visible length of name.

3. dlaery

dlaery Alibre Super User

i struggle with this also, I right click on the icon and it opens the folder it is in, then you can close the folder and right click on another one.

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

The entire name is in the textboxes but is clipped. This AutoHotkey script will display a tooltip when you mouse over ANY text of the home window and show its entire length.
    Code:
    #SingleInstance force
    #Persistent
    #NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    ; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
    SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

SetTimer, OverIcon, 400
    Return

OverIcon:
      MouseGetPos, , , id, control
      WinGetTitle, title, ahk_id %id%
      WinGet, exename,ProcessName, ahk_id %id%
      If (exename = "Alibre Design.exe") And InStr(title, "Home - ")
      {
        If (RegExMatch(control, "WindowsForms10\.STATIC\.app\.0\.[a-zA-Z0-9]+_[a-zA-Z0-9]+_ad[a-zA-Z0-9]+"))
        {
          ControlGetText, ctext , %control%, ahk_id %id%
          ToolTip, %ctext%
        }
        Else
          ToolTip
      }
      Else
        ToolTip
    Return

5. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Thanks for posting, I'm a CAD Driver not a computer programmer though. I'm sure if I googled and spent an hour trying to figure this out, I could figure out what to do with it.

EDIT:: looks like AutoHotkey is something that my IT guy would have to install, since I don't have admin rights on this machine, and they probably won't agree to that. I'm sure I'm not the only Alibre user in that situation.