1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hole callouts in drawings

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by OrjanB, Dec 27, 2020.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Or just optionally mark holes with an identifier symbol, and continue to identify one hole of the set completely.

The scripts seem to become added on top of one another, while it would seem relatively easy to just drop a symbol (letter etc, selectable elsewhere) at each hole, movable, but included like a dimension.

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

That may be something that could be an option on the Hole Tool -- a callout letter box that the user could fill in or let it label automatically and could be applied similar to the hole callout and hole centermarks with a RMB option.

HoleToolDialog.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  3. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Pretty much what I had in mind, yes.

4. concept

concept Member

Another option is to encircle one set of holes with a construction line. Identify one of the holes within that encircled shape. Then identify one of the differently sized holes outside of the encircled holes. Normally, using letters to identify sets of differently sized holes is done when there are either many different sets or many holes of two different sizes.

5. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Will those survive edits and moves of the view?

6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Anything added in the drawing will not be asociative and will not auto-update.

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

That is what I expected (was not sure what the poster meant by "construction lines"). So it is not the best solution.

Actually, it depends WHAT is "added" and what you mean by "adding". Notes and lines do not. Dimensions obviously do, and they can be described as being "added", even though they "exist" already even if they are not actually "showing".

Also, there seems to be a distinction between things inside the view window, and things outside it. Some things, if added within the view window, will move with the window if the window is repositioned, while other things will not, but many of them will not update etc.

That brings up a point.... there should be, in the best of systems, a way to "tie" a note and its arrow to the part in a drawing, so that if the drawing is updated, the arrow etc is still in the same relation. With a large multi-page drawing, it can get to be quite a chore to go manually through the entire thing verifying that every individual note is still in it's correct place.

That is a way in which CAD is more of a problem than ink on vellum. The ink does not get moved.... you must go and change it manually, which is good, because you typically know what you are changing.. In many ways that is easier than determining what things got automatically changed by the CAD system after an update.

The CAD system "waves flags and yells" telling you that a drawing is not up to date. Alibre turns the areas it plans to change to a "pink area". But it does not typically show you what it is going to change. There is no "red lined drawing". That would be very hard to do, so showing before doing is probably impractical.

It would be far more "user friendly" if the changed items were shown in some way after the fact. Then, one would know exactly how to check it. For each item, you could have it, for instance, show on the screen in blue. When it is checked and is OK, select "remove change indication" and away it goes to the normal color.

Presently, there is only the red indicator that something was not successfully changed. Anything where the change was done without problems looks just the same as anything that remained the same.

I suppose the retort to this is that "if you do not know what you changed, you may want to move to a career in sales". But there are often un-anticipated results, and after all, CAD is supposed to make complex jobs easier..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I mean that anything you add to a drawing won't update when you update/modify the part.

9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Any "notes, lines, manual arrows, etc".

10. concept

concept Member

Yes.

11. concept

concept Member

I added an reference rectangle around a hole and called out the hole. They stay with the view no matter where I place it in the drawing.
    Are you saying that they will disappear if I further modify the model?

12. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I'm saying that if you add anything to a drawing it won't update when you update the 3D part.

13. concept

concept Member

Right - not as a feature-generated view but as long as the views remain in the drawing, the sketches will remain in that view unless you delete the view and regenerate it. I think that's what you are saying.

14. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Sort of. Even if you regenerate it won't make a difference as the sketch aren't associated to the part. In the case of your rectangle it won't matter much but if you have a plate with 100+ holes you've labelleds them A, B, C, etc and they get moved around you need to manually move the labels to the correct positions. Lots of work and opens the door to error.

15. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

As I mentioned in post #9, IF you attach the label leaders to the holes, then unselect "Show" for the leaders, when the hole moves the label moves.

Here's a sample part and drawing that I created to test this out. I've labeled the holes "HOLE 1" "HOLE 2" etc. so they match up to the dimension names in the EE of the part.
    1. Open the drawing and note the location of the labels.
    2. Then RMB on the part and select Edit the 3D Model.
    3. In the part model Open the EE (Ctrl+E) and change some of the location dimensions for the holes then Save the part.
    4. Switch back to the drawing and Reproject the views and note the updated hole locations and the labels that moved with the holes.

You will find that if you changed the location dimensions for all four holes that the labels for all of them updated except for HOLE 4. That's because I did not attach the leader for HOLE 4 to the hole to illustrate that attaching the label to the hole is key to making it associative.

Attached Files:

16. concept

concept Member

That'll work!