1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help..Custom Symbol (with Hatch?)

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by jfleming, Jun 25, 2020.

1. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Hello,

Due to the lack of a symbol for a dowel pin, or a way to designate a hole as such, I am attempting to create a custom symbol to utilize. It doesn't appear that a hatch can be included along with a symbol though??? I have a Solid Filled Hatch that I am unable to select when creating the custom symbol.

Also, it was required to draw this symbol in draftsight then open it as a dxf in Alibre because the Alibre sketch mode doesn't allow you to create a hatch in Alibre. (At least not that I've easily found).

What do you all recommend???

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

I managed to draw it in AD by first drawing a quarter circle, patterned arc by 4 and lines x 2.

But - you are correct, no simple way to include the hatch fill in the custom symbol. Custom Symbol pre-dates the hatch tool, and is a sketching tool. Hatch is a Drawing Management tool. The 2 don't want to co-operate with each other. It would be nice if this was possible.

Let's see if anyone comes up with a clever workaround.

jfleming likes this.
  3. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

And as a follow up, is there a way to constrain a symbol to the part geometry on the drawing?? Does not appear to be.

My workaround thus far...

In Draftsight:
    Draw a 1" dia circle. Manually draw in the "hatched" solid fills (just lines at .002" apart, then trimmed).
    Export as a dxf.

Open that dxf in Alibre. Create the custom symbol.

When inserting it, you can then set the scale as whatever it needs to be for the size of dowel you are using. Ex. X Scale: .125/ Y Scale .125 for a 1/8" dowel.
    Place it on the drawing as best you can, since there seems to not be a way to constrain it.

**Edited***

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

If you add an 'anchor point' when creating the custom symbol, that allows you to place it co-incident with things already in the drawing. You may need to vary the 'selection filter' setting. To set the anchor point, click in the X or Y field, then click on the desired anchor point of your symbol.

No way to constrain the symbol after it has been inserted (even if you included a node in the symbol).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    jfleming likes this.
  5. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Thanks I'll try that. Ironically, I just recreated it with a node and see that it didn't work that way.