1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has the BOM setup and function changed? It seems different.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JST, Jun 24, 2020.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I have noticed two things about the BOM which I absolutely HATE with a passion. I never saw these before V21. I am still using the same custom BOM that I used 3 years ago, no changes that I made to it.

1) EVERY TIME I EDIT ANY TABLE ENTRY, the row height is AUTOMATICALLY CHANGED to be very tightly aligned on the text. NEVER happened with any prior version of Alibre.

This is not tolerable, why cannot the row height stay where set, instead of having to be reset after every editing session?

I usually do NOT direct-edit the BOM, but sometimes for a particular reason, I will. If I WANTED a different height, I'd just plain set it up that way. I do not want this tight location of the lines at top and bottom of the text.

For automatically populated entry, the rows stay at the default height.

2) For some reason, unknown to me, not changed by me, the "description" field suddenly acquired the QUANTITY, as well as the description. This is not desired, there already is a quantity column. This is also new, and I never asked for it.

Worse yet, it seems to be one-time, since it does not keep up with changes to the quantity in the QTY column.

Both of these cost me considerable extra time to undo what has been "helpfully changed automatically to what somebody thought I really wanted".

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Not sure if its an option, but these kind of changes are my pet hate. If the default behaviour of an application has been released then subsequently changed, then it should really be added to the list of application options so the user can either keep their preferred and most productive way or adapt (in their own time) to a different and possibly better way. Different behaviour should never be force changed on the user because 'dev knows best'... it's just plain rude!

3. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Worst of all is I have no idea what changed it, nor when, nor how. Dunno how I enabled that, did not know it could even happen.

If I DID know, then at least I could reset that, or avoid it.

It was associated with material property editing done to find weights of the pieces. But nothing that I am aware of was done to the description.

The WORST part of it is that I WANT to get an automatic transfer system FROM the description + QTY column to the line of text under the part views, to have the part descriptor, the part reference, and the qty right there. Dome manually now, would prefer it to be automatic so that all is kept up to date. I hate same info in multiple places, but clients want it.

THAT can maybe be done with the "macro" creation system, but I have enough programming languages to remember now.

SO instead, somehow the info went the OTHER way......

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Try opening your BOM template in V21 and resave (under new revision) and then try create a BOM and see if it still happens. Could just be that a version mismatch is causing this. Maybe.

5. JST

JST Alibre Super User

That was actually done already, so probably not the issue. Can I prove it wasn't? Nope. Like many oddities, it just "showed up" for another "WTF moment".

Edit.... surely is not, did that in case it had not been done, and the re-size still happens.

It does also adapt to a multiple line (wrapped) entry, getting larger. I wonder if it is a default somewhere that is new.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020