1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone used the HP Z Camera?

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by aptivaboy, May 6, 2018.

1. aptivaboy

aptivaboy Senior Member

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/z-3d-camera/overview.html

This looks like a great, relatively inexpensive way to image objects, port them to a CAD program, and then edit and model from them with an ultimate eye towards printing. I mainly model small fine scale models and detail parts and it would be a godsend to be able to image the donor/base model into a CAD program and then be able to CAD right onto the actual model, so to speak. Fit issues and scaling would be greatly reduced, one would think. The documentation says that it does save to an OBJ format, which I don't believe Alibre can open just now. At any rate, while its listed as a supported mesh format Alibre seems to have serious issues converting and opening it such files, in my experience. Does anyone have any experience with this camera, and issues, etc., and can the OBJ conversion issues be overcome?

Many thanks,

Bob

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

It does look very cool. And seems better than some of the other low cost options available at first glance. However there are issues...

1)... requires a PC with Windows 10, 4th gen Intel® Core™ i7-4790S or higher, 1xUSB-3.0 Type A, 1xUSB-2.0 Type A, minimum 16GB RAM and 1.8GB available storage, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M or better NVIDIA graphics card required for 3D capture... This means an entirely new PC and OS for me.
    2) The scan resolution appears to be even less than the Sense (Sense was 1mm, the HP Z is 2-5mm)
    3) AD will be ending mesh imports so...

Still, its a great idea. Hope to see it developed some more...