1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to select/point at lines

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Kenneth, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth Member

Hi,

I find it hard to select (or point) at lines.
    Normally have this issue when I have to put dimensions and is in a hurry.
    Alibre seems to be missing some degree of "line-snapping" - to make it easier to select lines.

Example (not a good one, but will show my problem):

Can I make it easier to select files in options?

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I think more information is needed. Some questions come to mind:
    What version of Alibre are you using?
    What is your screen resolution? Is it the new 4K version?
    Are you using Legacy mode or HOOPS?

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Member

Hmmm...

Version = V21
    Screen resolution: 1920x1080 (24")

I can select the line, but have to be spot on it - as seen in the video. Having the cursor 1 mm. next to the line will not select it.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

The HOOPS interface is a bit 'picky' regarding selection. Work is underway to address that.

If it's creating major issues for you - consider switching to legacy display mode for the time being.

5. HaroldL

As I recall the "Hot Spot" of a cursor is only one pixel and that is controlled by Windows so unless there is a way of adjusting that within Alibre you're kinda stuck with what you have.

My 24" monitor resolution is 1920 X 1200 and sometimes it can be challenging to select sketch figures. I sometimes have the most difficulty when attempting to select Edges of parts for Fillet or Chamfer operations.

I usually don't have any problems selecting sketch figures. Here's a screen shot of my cursor just as it highlights the line in a sketch. This is with Alibre at full screen.

PointerLocation.png

6. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

The 'hover over' target area of the cursor on an object is defined by the bounds of the object defined by the application (and is usually part of the graphics engine render metrics), not Windows. With geometry, the calculation of whether your near or over a specific element is closely tied to the geometry render code, that's why legacy mode works ok and HOOPS doesn't. It just needs fixing in the HOOPs engine, which I believe from other topics is work-in-progress.

7. HaroldL

Simon,
    Thanks for the clarification. I was going on what I read on a Windows Support post.

8. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Too add, I'm all for any improvements to this as well. As was mentioned, it is difficult sometimes to get the exactly correct spot with the mouse to pick something. In modeling and 2D drawing modes both.

9. HaroldL

Not saying that this is the case here but just as a reminder that there are Selection Filters that can be turned ON or OFF depending on the immediate need.
    Not so much for drawings but parts and assemblies have a few.

SelectionFilters-Parts.png

SelectionFilters-Drawings.png