1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group components

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by salex, Dec 24, 2019.

1. salex

salex Member

I know my terminology is wrong but I want to combine a circle and a square together. The circle is a little smaller and is centered in the square. I want to then copy and paste a number of them on a surface. That all works fine until I try and dimension between them. I try and dimension between the centers and the circle moves but not the square. I've tried to place constraints on the original but when I paste them the constraints seem to disappear. I suspect there's an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out.

I included my starting file showing sort of what I'm trying to do. I want the upper elements to be dimensioned 63.7 mm above the lower one.

Attached Files:

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Looking at the file. First a question: what exactly are you trying to achieve i.e. extrude or cut? Secondly, you really want a simple sketch and then pattern the extrude/cut. Works better that way.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    simonb65 and JST like this.
  3. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

As @bigseb says, it would be helpful to know what your 'trying' to achieve. Take a single instance of the sketch of a circle in a square ... what are you hoping that is going to turn into? If you do multiple instances of a 'thing', it's better to do a simple sketch, extrude or cut it into a feature, then do something else with that feature by means of another sketch, then when you have one 'thing' created, repeat/pattern those features. It will make things much, much simpler and logical.
    Think of modelling as 'the steps/operations it would take to actually make it' and break down the creation process into those small and many steps.

4. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

You didn't mention if you are using Atom3D or Alibre Design. IF the former please note that in your post headers or add it to your Signature.

But on to the solution. Here's an image that should help. And BTW what are you attempting to create, an Extrude Cut or Extrude Boss?

Fix for Circle-Square Sketch.png

IF you have the menu option for a Rectangle by Center, use that since it will give you a point to constrain to.
    rect by center menu.png

As a point of reference here's what you will get if you create an Extrude Boss with the sketch:
    NestedSketchExtrudeBoss.png

And here's what you get with an Extrude Cut:
    NestedSketchExtrudeCut.png

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  5. salex

salex Member

Thanks so much for the replies.

First I'm using Atom3D. Second I am creating an Extrude Boss. These will be standoffs that a PC board will rest on with screws into the holes holding it down. I need a number of identical standoffs placed at precise locations all over the 'base' sketch. So having created the standoff I'd like to simply "paste stamper" a bunch of them and then dimension them as needed.

From your replies I think I am trying to do what you are suggesting but I can't seem to get the constraints on the basic structure right because when I place a copy using the "paste stamper" function then try to precisely dimension it I get problems as demonstrated in the attached file. I used the hints supplied by HaroldL to better define the circle/square basic element. Then I copied it. Then when trying to dimension it to its desired location I got the result shown. So is it proper constraints that I need or am I not understanding bigseb and simonb65.

Attached Files:

6. salex

salex Member

I realized that after I posted I had not properly applied the mid-line constraint. After correcting that it appeared that things where in fact working properly. So the answer it seems is to get the constraints right. So I think now I'm on the right track unless there's an easier way.

Thanks again very much!

7. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello @salex ,

are the standoffs thought as a single part or do you want to have them as an geometry on the baseboard (do you want to 3Dprint the 120x100 board)?
    Are the positions of the spacers have some kind of pattern? If so, use the "Pattern" function to place them like bigseb said.
    The "standard spacer" i know are single parts which can be eg. glued to the inner surface of a housing or can be screwed into the plate.
    upload_2019-12-25_11-50-15.png
    If you want to use such, it will make more sense to create them as a sigle part and make an assembly.
    And one "tip": You have not dimensionend your base. It its better to fully constrain your entities in your design to have a stable design. And if you put names to your dimensions you can easier identify them in the equation editor if you want to change the dimensions of your base...

Regards
    Stefan

8. salex

salex Member

Yes I'm going to 3D print the design. I started with a base I knew to be larger than I will need and will adjust it's dimensions once I've placed all the standoffs. The standoffs are in patterns of 4s depending on the size of the boards which are mostly all different. But I do use the same boards on different designs so the idea of making a set of 4 an assembly is appealing now that you mention it. I haven't figured out how that works yet but will work on figuring that out next. Thanks all again!