1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GrabCAD Workbench & Alibre

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mika, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Mika

Mika Member

Hey.

Grabcad Workbench seems to be free file management system for engineers. Have anyone here used it with Alibre? File preview is not working, that one I already know...but that file versioning etc. functions are quite a interesting option.

https://grabcad.com/workbench

2. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Interesting but I'm not a fan of third-party off-site storage for files that I need everyday to work. I do backup my files to a third-party off-site storage but those are backups which I rarely need to access. If they released a server/client package that could be installed locally I'd try that.

3. Mika

Mika Member

Terms and conditions of GrabCad? How does it differs from pushing the "backups" to dropbox or some other cloud service? Just those cloud services make sure that we have our files with us anywhere we are, in our everyday work. GrabCad have desktop client, why need some own expensive server version and make things more harder?

4. Mika

Mika Member

And what if your laptop and usb stick gets broken and/or missing, how do you get your most valuable files back if you do not have synchronizing to some cloud service?

5. DBC

DBC Senior Member

Your storage with GrabCAD Workbench is still local, it just places copies in the cloud where your invited fellow users can sync with uploads/downloads to thier local drives. It actually works very well. I used it for many years without issue and have no problem recommending it. I just don't need it any longer since I went back to a one man show at the beginning of May 2019. I mainly used it to keep our users synced but it does have the advantage of being able to invite vendors and non-cad folks to share files and view them on line. Not sure if they have made any progress with allowing Alibre files (I doubt it). It would read and view solidworks parts and assemblies but not solidworks drawings. We always made PDF and DXF copies anyway and the viewer would definitely show the PDF files, but I don't remember if it would view DXF. Might, considering it is a pretty common format across many apps. It is not a vault substitute but it works pretty nicely if you can get your team on board.

Mika likes this.
  6. DBC

DBC Senior Member

GrabCAD Workbench is all about syncing your files with the cloud and your fellow invited team members. The desktop App is there to help facilitate that process. Users have to initiate any uploads and that can be be done as often as you like, so not as handy at times, but does make sense to give each user the ability to upload when they choose and one can quickly figure out what that means for their team. Downloads can be set to automatics as one might do if they had an account on a separate server that wasn't managed per se.

7. DBC

DBC Senior Member

GrabCAD Workbench is much like DropBox but with additional options that make it more like a product data management system. There has been very little progress on Workbench development, ever since the originator sold it to STRATASYS some years ago, but they still maintain it and have a support team. IT will likely never be more than it is now. They used to have an add-in for SW so you could work the desktop right from there, but I think 2016 was the last time that was available.

8. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Whereas my personal hatred for ProEngineer/CREO is huge, at least it allowed users to "rename" File Entities" within the context of a Project and create a new file "renamed" as specified. Thus, changing a Model/Drawing set from (say) "Rev New" to (say) "Rev A" was a piece of cake! And it is the only part of ProEngineer I miss.

9. NateLiqGrav

Terms and conditions are useless info. They protect the provider and don't protect a consumer.

Let me be clear. I do not trust any online file storage system. I've had to switch companies twice for my personal file backups. - Both were highly recommended by numerous tech sites and had good track records at the time. One decided to discontinue backup products entirely. The other just decided to discontinue the product I used and only offered a more expensive product without all the same features.

bigseb likes this.
  10. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

This! Two companies to watch with a very wary eye: Stratasys and Autodesk (my opinion). When Stratasys took over GrabCAD they updated the T&Cs to the point where they practically owned your work. My deleted all my models and closed my account. I believe Lew did too.

11. Mika

Mika Member

Ok, I see... How about building the own Alibre Cloud, based on the existing Alibre Vault? Is there any trusthworth database storage provider who might can help to build this? Like Amazon Web Services...?

12. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Alibre Vault is M-Files (with a custom metadata structure). M-Files already offers a cloud version of their system (runs on Microsoft's Azure platform). This could already work.

Potential issues - Vault integration in Alibre hasn't been updated in a while (there are some minor problems that need updating to work 100% with current generation M-Files). It isn't clear what Alibre LLC's long term view is regarding M-Files support.

13. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

This situation is a little worrying as I started Alibre with vault and everything I have modelled/drawn is in there since V9

Mika likes this.
  14. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Didn't mean to be alarmist - Alibre has said they have no plans to drop Vault support, but then again they haven't done anything to update their integration. I too have a lot of Alibre files in Vault.

15. Lew_Merrick

This discussion is "amusing" to me as, back in 2005-6, I was working on a Project for a Company under complete surveillance by Defence Contracts Administration and Security Servise (DCASS). They required me to use ProEngineer/Wildfire that has a "monitoring system based out of India. I completed the Project Executive (Exploded) View on a Wednesday and that same view appeared in an "Indian Defence Journal" the following Friday. I cannot tell you how much "fun" the next eight months were for me...

Mika and NateLiqGrav like this.
  16. NateLiqGrav

Liked because I understand not for the result.

17. Lew_Merrick

Yeah, as I am colorblind to red, my "choices of colors" tends to be (shall we say) "non-standard." The image in question used a "color pallet" that I created for ProEngineer/Wildfire -- that made my "image" rather thourghly recognizable as having come from my system. Having worked with Arne Henden (the guy who programmed the Viking and Voyager probes) as well as know serveral people who spent significant time at the "No Such Agency," I habe no faith in either privacy or security with resect to the internet.