1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of a small feature...

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by aptivaboy, Nov 16, 2020.

1. aptivaboy

aptivaboy Senior Member

Hi all,

I'm CADding up a bridge for a Star Trek model that will eventually be printed into a commercial kit (I hope) and I've run into a snag. The bridge dome keeps ending up with a little lip on the leading edge of the dome. Its there no matter what I do to the sketches. Any ideas on how to eliminate it? I just want a nice smooth flow there, a smooth transition, not that little lip that keeps appearing.

Many thanks!

Bob

Attached Files:

2. Oldbelt

Oldbelt Senior Member

Your 3-d guide curves dosn't hit the 2 sketches.

Attached Files:

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Bob, have a look at the attached file. You can play around with the tangency settings of the loft. That should do it too. Much shorter tree too.

Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

Eddy So likes this.
  4. Oldbelt

Oldbelt Senior Member

Bigseb thats right, but the original 3-d guide curve was cirkels, that can't be made by the tangency parametres.

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Its a Star Trek model, so possibly not that important! Also - and this isn't meant to be disrespectful to the OP - but maybe he just didn't know how to do it differently.

6. aptivaboy

aptivaboy Senior Member

No offense taken. I appreciate and value any and all help. I can't open the file since I have an older version of Alibre but I'll keep playing with it. I went with the tangent parameter because global and local resulted in some exceptionally odd shapes. Only tangency got me anywhere near close. MOI may be the answer here, although I tend to have horrible times exporting from MOI into Alibre. The pipeline works well in the other direction for me, alas...

7. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

FWIW: the loft settings in my file are as follows:
    Sketch 1: no tangency
    Sketch 2: Tangent magnitude = 1.5 and tangent angle = -90.

That's it really. Maybe play around with tangent magnitude for sketch 2 i.e. plus/minus 0.1.