1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting files

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by SJX426, Sep 15, 2004.

1. SJX426

SJX426 Member

Getting files

Maybe most of you don't have this problem, but I do as I don't have Repository capabilty (don't really know the full functionality)

When I click on FILE, I usually get a listing of the last 4 files opened. I would like to have a lot more. MS Office at least lets you get to 9. Now having said that, I have an additional issue. If I name files the same between parts/sheetmetal/drawings and assemblies/BOM's, I don't know which I am picking! The file extensions don't show up. So in a way, having the short list is good because I then have to go to my folders to get what I want.

Now I have another issue! I can't sort the file list by type. So if I am looking for drawings, then the parts files that are nearly the same get mixed in. Same is true with Assemblies and BOM's. Now if they happen to have nearly the same naming, they all get mixed in.

I know small stuff, but that is always what adds up to a little frustration.

2. Cameraman

Cameraman Senior Member

This has been mentioned in at least one other thread -- as I recall, one of the suggestions therein was to change the name of the file so you can recognize it . . . e.g., widget_pt vs widget_dwg.

Along those same lines, if my group dumps the repository (which seems quite possible at this point, since the easier sharing suggestions were not implemented in v8), we will likely place drawing files in a separate subdirectory from part & assembly files, not only to avoid the problem you mention, but just to keep "models" and "drawings" segregated . . .

Regards,
    Greg :D

3. SJX426

SJX426 Member

Thanks for the response. I really don't like long file names and i have started doing just what you suggested. Redundent information.

So are you planning to create folders for each type of file?

4. Cameraman

Cameraman Senior Member

Re:

No, because our assemblies have different names than our parts anyway, so there is no confusion there, and I don't care about the difference between a regular part and, say, a sheet metal part, so I won't do anything different with them. The only exception might be the BoM's, but I may just put a "BOM" on the end of the file name for those.

And, of course, if others have better ideas, I'd like to hear them!

Regards,
    Greg :D