1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Generators

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dgstoll, Jan 31, 2007.

1. dgstoll

dgstoll Senior Member

Frame Generators

The following link is to a video presentation on the Inventor Frame Generating Tool. You will see that Alibre can do much of the same thing by using their "skeletal modeling" approach. Alibre's 'project sketch' would help with the joints. I thought this link might be interesting to those discussing the chassis modeling lately.
    daveS

http://autodesk.mediasite.com/autod...40-59e8-4f6d-af26-ac366dff28be&playerType=WM7

2. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Interesting. Thanks for the link, Dave.

Seems to work pretty much as I imagined it would.

Right now, I'd settle for "Insert Reference Points from within 3D Sketch" and "Global access to Reference Points".

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

4. robdavis

robdavis Senior Member

Framing is definitely part of the 10% of functionality that Alibre doesn’t need.
    As a trial and comparison I modelled the RHS frame that was developed in the SW demonstration in a bit over 30 minutes in Alibre as an assembly and that included mitred connections and 8 gussets. The burden of learning and using ‘framing’ often enough to remember it out weighs the plusses in my opinion.

5. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

I'm inclined to agree with Rob, on this.

We need less barriers to achieving things, without "wizards".

Personally, I think the Shape tool was a step in the wrong direction (although I understand the reasons behind its inclusion). Why introduce another way of doing things whilst the powerful combination of Catalog Features, Pattern and Repeat lies undeveloped?

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

IMO It all depends on the user needs, I can use framing even if is just a basic feature where is possible to add an structural member by selecting any line, polyline, curve or spline in one step.

7. dave2962

dave2962 Senior Member

I do a lot of machine frames and other structures like dunnage racks and I can tell you I would love it if they developed this type of functionality. I had a trial version of Solidworks and I did learn to use this feature (it took about 20 min) and it was great. You would not believe how easy it makes this type of work. I am starting an automotive storage rack project right now and this feature would cut my design time by at least 50%. I guess what qualifies as the 10% of functionality we don't need depends on what you are doing with the software.

JST and jfleming like this.
  8. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Perhaps a Frame Generator would be a good candidate for an API module? If Alex was involved, we'd likely be able to generate mortice & tenon joints, as well... :)

9. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Re:

CGN,
    Isn't this pretty straightforward, if you use 3D Sketch for the path and Catalog Feature for the profile?

10. dgstoll

dgstoll Senior Member

Alibre refers to itself as machine design software but what is "machine design"? I work for a company which sold power transmission parts in the beginning. The customers needed a shaft for the bearings so the company bought a machine shop business. Then the customers wanted a frame to mount the shaft and bearing. So a fabrication shop was added.
    The machines I design tend to be conveyors or other structural bins, tote dumpers, etc for use in paper mills, sawmills, blueberry harvesting or biomass cogen power plants. We could use a frame generator several times a week but I have never used Geometric Tolerancing. In order for alibre broaden their appeal in different areas, (once the 2d is smoothed out) frame generators and flat plate layouts for cones, sq-rd sheetmetal will make Alibre very attractive to more people. My company just bought 4 seats of Inventor for these very features. Alibre would have been a serious contender with those features. I used my personal Alibre at work to demonstrate the need to go to 3d modeling but could not argue against the frame and sheetmetal features of Inventor. I think Alibre is easier to use and do my consulting work at home on Alibre even with Inventor licensed on my home compuyter. Bottom line is machine design for some of us involves frames and sheetmetal/ plate (up to 1" thk, that is where the bend allowance really shows up!!!!) which is rolled and bent on a large brake
    daveS

jfleming likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Thanks milesh, but what i want to do is to import a "path" it will be a spline, once in alibre i want to select the spline and "run" a profile along such path in one command, is it possible just to "drop" a profile from the catalog and in a single command and have a solid (result of sweeping such profile along the path)? the reason for me to have it automatic (such feature) is because i need to do the same to hundreds of splines that are not the same shape.

I know is possible to sweep a profile but to go from 2 or 3 commands to 1 is what I'm looking for. also i want the profile to follow the actual path and stay put on such so i don't have to re-align the solid on the assembly.

12. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

CGN,

OK, understand.

Unless you can import the splines as interpolation point data, there's no easy way to do what you want.

13. Mika

Mika Member

Over 10years gone from these discussions and nowadays almost all the mechanical design softwares include this feature. Just as sheetmetal feature, frame generators are really nice tools. Saves hundreds of working hours...

How is it now in Alibre software development, is this feature on your list?

swertel likes this.
  14. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

swertel and Mika like this.
  15. Alexander

Alexander Senior Member

I've been using Inventor for 15 years and from my experience frame design is quick. The problem is when you have a major change to the structure or someone breaks the model by replacing a section incorrectly the link between the wire frame is lost and impossible to fix. Therefore I try to avoid it and use sub-assemblies, i.e a beam with end plates and gussets. Just like you would in the actual construction. This way it's easier to fix should there be any changes.

Ralf likes this.
  16. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

All I can say now is:

It will not do everything that Solidworks or Inventor does but it will speed up frame design in Alibre Design drastically.

I'm starting simple and will add more features as time goes on.

A beta release may be soon (a month or two)

Alibre Design 2019+ Alibre Script was required and therefore will be required.

cadtec and Mika like this.
  17. Mika

Mika Member

Is it going to be just a ”script” or a real tools in a toolbar? My skin get goose pimples if I need to see any line of codetext...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  18. NateLiqGrav

It will be a script but all user interaction will be 100% through windows forms tools after the script is ran- no need to even see the script.

cadtec, TimoCAD and Mika like this.
  19. NateLiqGrav

Testing different miter conditions. All beams created by script/tool. All Miters made by script/tool.
    justapeek.png

20. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Nate,
    interesting.
    What is the "shaded see through" geometrie for?
    How will the user interface look like?
    Regards
    Stefan