1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Builder

Discussion in 'Alibre Script' started by NateLiqGrav, Dec 22, 2019.

1. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

I'm working in my spare time on a frame builder for Alibre Design. To those who saw my earlier post - I had hoped to be done a while ago - so my apologies that it's taking so long. I've got parts of it done and am trying to sew it all together into a more streamlined tool. There are many limitations I've run into in Alibre Script and the Alibre API that require creative workarounds that take time. If you are interested in beta testing it and giving me feedback please send me a private message.

cadtec and Mika like this.
  2. NateLiqGrav

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
    upload_2020-1-1_23-58-24.png

upload_2020-1-1_23-54-15.png
    100% created and mitered with the Frame Builder.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Nate, I can see this will be very useful for some - not sure I'll have much use myself (but you never know...).

I can see you have AISC profiles, do you have, or would it be easy for others to adapt for profiles to other standards ?

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  4. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

That looks amazing. I utilize a lot of 80/20 aluminum extrusion and something like this would be super beneficial

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  5. NateLiqGrav

I've made it super easy to customize. Profile Templates for this are single extrusion Alibre Part files in user made Windows folder structure.
    In the case of the image for testing I have sorted some AISC profiles (from @Lew_Merrick ) into folders.

Much more detail will be available in the help pdf.

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Sounds good - looking forward to learning more.

7. NateLiqGrav

Here is an example showing the major steps for creating a frame and their output. This is not the only way but a good one. Keep in mind that at this time the Frame Builder parts do not update to changes and will have to be manually fixed or re-created.

Frame Step1:
    Create a ghost part in the assembly with the size and shape of the frame to build. - make the frame the way you want it first.

Frame Step2:
    Create the parts 'By Edges' and use the edges of the ghost part. This automatically gets the length and constrains the frame parts to the ghost part.

Frame Step3:
    Miter, Trim/Extend, or Cope frame parts together. For Miter and Cope the two parts must be coplanar (based on center of bounding box) but not parallel. It assumes the parts are located ( even if not constrained) where wanted and does not change their position. It extends or trims them to their actual or apparent intersection.

Note if the constraints fail simply edit the ghost part and "Regenerate All Features" or press Ctrl + Shift + F5 to force all parts in the assembly to "Regenerate All Features for All Parts".

Attached Files:

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Nate,
    is it possible to create a "table" out of the parts in this post?
    Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

9. NateLiqGrav

:D Ok, I see the problem now. That is a sketch shape object. AFAIK AlibreScript doesn't have support for sketch shapes and a few other sketch objects yet. :(
    I'll convert to lines and arcs and upload my table results.

10. NateLiqGrav

oct-table.png

This took a bit to get right. I had a hard time finding the right look for the legs because they stuck out at every angle.

leg offset.png

I made the legs with an X-Offset of 0.327" without an Alignment Face and then manually align constrained them to the angle of the miter cut. If there was no reason for each part to be unique then I could have done a circular array too.

EDIT: My assembly was in inches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  11. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Nate,
    thank you for testing it. Looks interesting.
    I can not open the assembly due to missing parts...
    I've opened the part and saw you've added a second sketch to the profile, is that neccessary?
    The octagon is made with the frame tool and the legs are done manually?
    Regards
    Stefan

12. NateLiqGrav

Sorry I meant to attach the package file not the assembly file. I'll fix when back home.

13. NateLiqGrav

I added the second sketch in case I wanted to use copes later. A cope is kinda like a Boolean subtract and I wanted to remove the center area. It's not strictly required.
    The manual align could be done with the Frame Builder if there were faces to select those directions for orientation. The base ghost part could be adapted to make this frame much easier. I'll make an example.

14. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

like this?
    upload_2020-1-9_14-15-48.png
    Regards
    Stefan

15. NateLiqGrav

Eventually I'd like to get there but right now the cope "tool" goes completely thru the part being coped.

16. NateLiqGrav

Check this one out.
    As I said earlier the amount of parts could be reduced and circular arrayed if unique parts were not necessary.

Attached Files:

17. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Nate,
    i see, you changed the ghost part. What's the reason for this?
    Regards
    Stefan

18. NateLiqGrav

19. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Nate,
    in your second post you have an cylindrical tube frame example.
    The miters are looking like:
    upload_2020-1-10_10-34-8.png
    Am i correct?

If yes, is the following also possible with frame maker?
    upload_2020-1-10_10-35-9.png

Regards
    Stefan

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Mika likes this.
  20. NateLiqGrav

That is correct. Follow 3 piece miter instructions.
    Not currently possible. That would be the same problem and answer as a previous question - just different tube shapes. https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/frame-builder.21412/#post-139023