1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fonts missing in PDF

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Hunter, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

I now have another issue with fonts, see screenshot below (viewed with latest Acrobat Reader DC). The dots are where the font have gone missing (Noto Sans). I emailed the PDF (drawing) to an end user for reviewing and he has the same issue.

If I use a different PDF viewer (for example, SumatraPDF) then the font displays correctly. If I use Noto Sans in Word and export as a PDF, then I can see the font in Acrobat Reader DC. If I export the drawing file using Microsoft PDF publisher, then I can see the fonts in Acrobat Reader DC (but then the shading is all crappy again - see another post of mine). So, it would appear that the HOOPS PDF publisher is not embedding the fonts correctly?

Can someone else perhaps test this using Noto Sans and the HOOPS PDF publisher?

In the meantime I'll just change my dimension styles back to Arial, because that does work with HOOPS.
    upload_2020-2-13_13-26-17.png

I know people are going to ask why I use Noto Sans? It is slightly more compact than Arial and I prefer the look of the numbers. I guess it's not a big deal, but it should also just work.

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Is the font installed for 'all users' on your computer. If not there will be issues. That's a first check to make.

3. Hunter

Hunter Senior Member

I checked and I still just get dots.
    I also tried using a different font (Source Sans Pro), made sure that I installed it for all users, but I still just see dots.

upload_2020-2-14_12-39-0.png

This does not happen if I choose Arial as the font (which is the default font for the default dimension style).
    upload_2020-2-14_12-48-10.png

There are similar posts on the Adobe forums by AutoCAD users, but it seems they can solve the problem from by embedding the fonts via the PC3 file. See for example this thread
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/cannot-find-or-create-font/td-p/3880361?page=1

Any ideas what to try next?

In the meantime I'll try using another PDF creator.