1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First thread - New User

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billybuck, Nov 18, 2019.

1. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

+1 for global parameters!

Another handy technique. How I use this is to create a dummy part and boolean unite this into every part the requires the dummy part as a template. Extra all sketches as required and simply suppress the dummy part (that is a feature in the DE) when I don't need it any more.

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Sebastian -- (1) They are not Parameters (something well defined in mathematics) and (2) they are not Global they are (Loaded into) Projects. Please let us get our definitions defined properly!

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Since we have two new users in this thread lets stick with the terminology that AD uses so as to avoid confusion.

Jonathan, simonb65 and markporter like this.
  5. Lew_Merrick

Sebastian -- Since the "definitions" are false so are the conclusions! Whereas I will grant you that, in the U.S. at least, Walter Cronkite misunderstood about Parameters when reporting on NASA. This is no reason to contiue the mistake. Also, Global has a meaning that stretches far beyond the space of the "GLP" file whereas a "GLP" file needs to be Loaded and Applied to each Component to which it is applied. It is that simple a statement. -- Lew

6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

+10 on this. If that's a problem for anyone let them take it up with Max and his team to make whatever changes they want to make and spare the forum all the blather and history lessons. Until Alibre ships with different names for features and functions I'll stick with the Alibre terms.

bigseb likes this.
  7. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

This !!

8. Lew_Merrick

Harold -- A Parameter is a Variable determined by either (A) an External Function or (B) a value derived from an External Database. That is a definition dating to the 17th century. Whereas all Parameters are Variables, not all Variables are Parametric in nature.

9. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Pick your battles, Lew ;) A discussion about semantics, which has been discussed by you in dozens of other threads, has now taken over this thread completely without adding any value to the new folks. Let's move on.

10. Lew_Merrick

Hi Max -- Proper use of the language of mathematics is an important aspect for engineering. -- Lew