1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File's Address?

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by jnhrtmn, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jnhrtmn

jnhrtmn New Member

I constantly have an open filename that I forget which folder it came from. There is no way that I can find to make Geomagic tell me from which folder the open file came from. If the file is open, and I open another file from another folder, Geomagic defaults to the new folder and will not return or reference the first. It will save to it, but if I want an associated file from that folder, I have no way of knowing for sure without some gymnastics.
    Am I missing something?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Do a search for that name in Windows Explorer. Not the ideal way but I don't think Alibre gives you the full path.

3. jnhrtmn

jnhrtmn New Member

Gymnastics it is then.

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I fear so. Its a function a
    I would like to see added to AD along with showing inter-file relationships like which assemblies is a part linked to and so on.

5. beefy

beefy Senior Member

I've had this issue numerous times in Windows. Most programs have "Save" and "Save As" options. I use "Save As" and a Windows Explorer save box pops up. From there you can see where the current location of your file is. Just click cancel once you've found the location.

6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

As jnhrtmn says this doesn't work if you have opened and saved other files in AD after opening the file of which you want to know the path.

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Does Win10 recent files list help - or does that only show files you have saved?

8. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

The M-Files vault lets you look at all these relationships and of course, you know where things are saved.

Having said that, AD does need settable filepaths for default save, export and template locations.

9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

If I need the thing, I open from the list, do some non altering action like viewing a section, save, and then do the "save as" trick.

If it is not on the list, then it has to be searched for.

10. MikeStrickland

MikeStrickland New Member

Hello, first-time forum poster, just signed up.

I thought I'd ask on this issue as it was several years ago and maybe there is now a better solution? I often have the same problem, where files have been left called 'new part' or moved around the place on the network drive. I know there is the "constituents" table, but it can be cumbersome with large assemblies

The best workaround I've found is the below (Windows 10)
    run resource monitor, and check the files opened by the alibre executable, to see the full file paths.

- from start menu, type 'resmon' and press enter
    - click 'CPU'
    - click where it says 'image' to sort alphabetically by name, "Alibre design.exe" should be near the top
    - under "associated handles" search for "ad_prt" or "ad_asm", whichever is relevant

It works, but it is a bit clunky.

Is there a better way to do this, these days?

Cheers,

Mike

11. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User