1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Saving/Organizing Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfleming, Jul 17, 2020.

1. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello JST,

don't get me wrong,i am going with you regarding a PDM system, but albeit i get paid for my alibre work (edit: done with AlibreDesign, not for...), i do not need any of the things you want. As the most of my work is planned (by me) before i press a button, i don't need to juggle with some kind of chaos. In my early years i've been told: If you try to do things to quick you'll gone do them twice...
    In addition to this, in this forum are (active or not...) round about 9300 members. How many of them have voted for Your personal vision? May it is time to calm down. Here are many members showing their workflows, only to point out alternatives. It could be a fun thing to be a part of it...

With optimistic regards
    Stefan

2. JST

JST Alibre Super User

OK, I cannot believe the negativity and basic "flaming" toward what is a plain good-sense feature change that is not difficult, and would make most people's use of Alibre easier.

"Plan" your work?

Explain how a "plan" changes the defaults in Alibre, unless you MANUALLY go through a list and do a save to the new destination for every one of the 8 or so save destinations every time you want to change what you are working on.

Is that REALLY so much better and easier than browsing to the new working directory and "selecting current as default"?

Bub-Bye............................

I see no further reason to suggest ANYTHING or report ANY issue........

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    bigseb and Mika like this.
  3. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello JST,

may you have made negative experiences with your workflow in Alibre, i will believe this, but may if you make a little step to an other position and adept another workflow you can be happy with the acctual possibilities of Alibre, it's worth a good tea and a try...

Regards
    Stefan

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello JST,
    as far as you've edited your post during i was writing my answer, i have an additional question. Which one
    would you like to set to
    Regards
    Stefan

5. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

@JST
    I agree that Alibre should have better system for defaults and read-only library ability. You can keep complaining about it if you want but that's a dead horse for most forum regulars. They can always block seeing your posts if they want.

However the current version options are work with it as is or you can use an outside solution. My script could probably be made more user friendly but I had this one already and it takes me less than a minute to change the folder paths.

6. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Stefan, I might change the default 3 to 5 times during a day's work, as I work on different clients.

The script is just not the way it should work. Should be easy, go to the work directory for the project, select as default. Done. Takes 5 seconds. No calling up editor, no retyping of script entries, no BS.

Dead horse here? Nobody else sees the issue? Only one other? Nonsense, I am not believing that. Others just quietly went away, probably.

Fine, apparently it is offensive to all other members to suggest such a thing. It does not take skin from my nose if I do not post here or look at it.

Dead horse down in Texas also, maybe. I will probably see what Alibre comes up with per what Max said, I am paid up for nearly a year, and may as well get what I paid for.

bigseb likes this.
  7. Mika

Mika Senior Member

We have a one old phrase in Finland: "Nothing changes if no one gets angry". Progressive discussions, gooodgood.

bigseb and jfleming like this.
  8. NateLiqGrav

I said "Dead horse" meaning you are beating the issue so much.

It would take me a few more hours to make my script as user friendly as that. But it works for me as is.

9. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

@JST as the original poster of this thread, I honestly did not expect it to end up 3 pages long. I posted the thread simply because the nature of saving in Alibre when trying to copy something basic over to a new design, is very cumbersome. Emphasis on VERY. I have been an Alibre user for going on 7 years now and it is still difficult to remember the unwritten rules sometimes, that is why I created the post in the first place.

In my current usage, I am working on multiple Tool & Die sets daily. I am in and out of up to 10 different Part Number sets per day. So a "working directory" function would be monumental for my flow. I am in the process of trying to standardize as we go, there are over 10,000 different part numbers here. Everything is currently in 2D, I am converting all the new orders and the consistent running parts to 3D. Some of the standard parts need to be standardized and placed in a standard/locked directory, others are part specific. The assembly files/drawings for each tool would contain parts from the standard parts folders, along with parts from that specific part number directory. Management of this is a real struggle, for example, I draw up one model/drawing set, and want to copy that all to the next part number because perhaps only one dimension is different.

I'm not going to go on and on. We all know that this needs to be addressed on future versions of the software.. Thanks.

NateLiqGrav and Mika like this.
  10. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Thankfully M-Files is still supported though no longer offered. I have 10yrs worth of "Everything" Alibre saved in a vault. As Alibre uses such a small part of M-Files functionality it's a shame that M-Files doesn't offer a cut down version.
    Alibre would hear me howling all the way from Australia if they removed support for M-Files

And yes, I have daily incremental backups and weekly full backups set to run in M-Files.

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  11. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Thankfully M-Files is still supported though no longer offered. I have 10yrs worth of "Everything" Alibre saved in a vault. As Alibre uses such a small part of M-Files functionality it's a shame that M-Files doesn't offer a cut down version.
    Alibre would hear me howling all the way from Australia if they removed support for M-Files

And yes, I have daily incremental backups and weekly full backups set to run in M-Files.

12. NateLiqGrav

I use M-Files almost daily too. The best feature compared to the Windows file system is renaming in M-Files doesn't screw up assemblies or drawings because M-Files doesn't link by file name but rather an internal ID.

Mika likes this.
  13. jhiker

jhiker Alibre Super User

I use M-Files daily too. It's easy to inadvertently create duplicate filenames though.

14. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

"2) ALLOW a "real library", which is one that is read-only within the program, so that things do not get modified and stored-back unless that is intended"

I had 2 different employers refuse to consider AD because this is missing.
    I am not sure how it could ever be possible to ISO9000 certify a development procedure where this is not possible.

But I have stopped complaining, it seems to be such a simple change.
    They appear to not want to be used by certified organisations.
    Don

15. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

My "real library"? is "read-only within" windows. Works perfect for me.:)
    Regards
    Stefan

16. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

And what do you do when AD decides it needs to write the part ?
    It needs to write every time it thinks the visual representation needs to be updated, not just when the part is changed. And this happens often.
    Of course you can write to a different directory/file, but then it is no longer guaranteed to be the part from the library.
    I must admit I haven't tried to set a file read only for a while now as it never worked, but I am not aware that AD's comportment has changed at all in the mean time.
    Don

JST likes this.
  17. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

That's one thing I wish was an option to turn off . As you say, Alibre likes to write the part back to disk even though nothing has physically changed and it just wants to save the new view orientation! I have a PCB package that if you open a design schematic and zoom in to fault find, it wants to save it again although your just taking a look, not editing ... darn annoying!

18. Mika

Mika Senior Member

Have anyone of you tried any file tagging applications like www.tabbles.net? I was just thinking what if Alibre would have some inbuilt project management part based on these same file tags? Not so complicated system at all to create. Possible to transform old Vault to this(?) and let users select where they store the files...own discs or cloud, whatever. (Please do not push down my idea immediately)

19. Mika

Mika Senior Member

I just check that there is no possibility to add normal windows file tags on Alibre Files. Why is it like that?

Attached Files:

20. Mika

Mika Senior Member

And what is these file properties what can get via clicking file with RMB and selecting properties and custom tab. Is these possible to get up there on the windows file explorer top bar? I create some of these, but those are not same properties what you see inside the Alibre.

Attached Files: