1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on a button

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Max, May 23, 2018.

?

Where should this go?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2018.
  1. 1

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. 3

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Hey folks,

When I model I often want to reorient the view to the sketch plane. We have a tool hidden in the ribbon for this but I think it's kind of obnoxious to find / click.

We're renaming and relocating the tool (shown in position 1) now called Orient to Sketch.

Proposal is the following: upload_2018-5-23_21-16-19.png

What I feel like we will hear after launch:
    • Arg, I just try to select stuff and I keep reorienting to plane
    Pick your favorite position or propose a new one.

Attached Files:

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

It appears that both position 1 and 2 will get the same "Arg"ument. At position 3 you only need to worry about starting a dimension or a line figure.

This is something I haven't paid too much attention to mainly because I have a Hot Key set to reorient to the sketch plane and the option is largely visible in the various versions of the mouse pop up tool bar while in sketch mode.

MouseToolBars.png

3. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

I don't use the ribbon so I can't vote. I just use the "Orient View" toolbar. I keep it enabled.

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Same here!

5. BobSchaefer

BobSchaefer Member

I didn't know that option even existed, however, I'm going to vote for position 3 as I would agree with Harold about positions 1 and 2.

swertel likes this.
  6. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I use the ribbon and rate it highly. Position 3 for me!

Glad its being 'upsized'. :)

7. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

I'll take position 1 thanks

Also, if we are talking about moving buttons, can we have the New Configuration button on the Part Modelling tab moved up between Sketch and Edit?

Also in 2D Sketching, add the Convert to Regular/Reference buttons to the right-click toolbars. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    jfleming likes this.
  8. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

For me tool bars is less confusing to me. I guess I grow up with with them, don't want to break old habits.

9. Alexander

Alexander Senior Member

Thanks for asking Max, it's reassuring that the Alibre team listen to the user feedback....rare these days imo

Upon reading my post it can be misinterpreted as rare that Alibre listen to us, when in fact I was referring to the other so called industry leaders. I'm an Engineer, my communication skills are poor.....

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    bigseb likes this.
  10. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

+++1

11. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Position #1 is the logical workflow from left to right. Activate a sketch -> Orient your view -> add/remove/edit your sketch figures! That's the UI philosophy in the way ribbon bars are generally laid out and also discussed in Microsoft's UI guidelines.

12. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

YES
    is the logical workflow.

13. Alexander

Alexander Senior Member

Totally agree, productive workflow is the key for me

14. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Then would that mean the Sketch figures would be in the third position instead of Select with Dimension after them and then Select? :confused:

15. GIOV

GIOV Senior Member

None of the above. I like to place the view and orientation bars at the base of the part workspace:
    upload_2018-5-25_21-22-1.png

VoltsAndBolts likes this.
  16. cadtec

cadtec Member

#1 is the logical workflow.
    Add this command to the right-click menu as well.
    (I would like to point out, however, that it is close to the "Deactivate Sketch" button and may therefore be clicked eventually too often if the "Orient to Sketch" button is too narrow. ;) )

17. Max

Just to clarify here, the view is automatically oriented to the sketch plane when you enter sketch mode. The option that controls this is:

upload_2018-5-29_2-7-49.png

So, this button is not required when starting a new sketch or editing an existing sketch, as the view will automatically be oriented. I'm not sure if that changes your minds about position 1 or not. This is most useful when you rotate the view and want it to get back to flat against the screen.

MKR likes this.
  18. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Based on that @Max, why can't it be left as is (position wise), but just made bigger and grouped with what is currently called Sketch Options but rename that ribbon group as View !? as it would then contain all the view modes and visibility stuff, i.e.

From ...
    upload_2018-5-29_11-47-3.png

To...
    upload_2018-5-29_12-5-35.png

Then make the Direct Co-Ord Entry icon bigger in the Sketch Tools group.

19. Max

Trying not to add to much here so you all can discuss without our intervention, but yes, it could be added there.

My thoughts:
    Pros of position 1, 2, or 3:
    • Visibility, especially for new users. "How to I get back" is a common issue new folks face, and from my personal experience modeling (YMMV), I use this tool often, so I feel it deserves prominence as well.
    Cons of position 1,2, or 3:
    • No real cons that I can think of other than in theory is it better suited from a UI function breakdown perspective to be paired with similar functions that affect the view state.
    I personally feel the pros outweigh the cons here, but was not advocating for any position in particular, just trying to point something out in the ongoing discussion in which I would prefer you all to be the primary participants (I have enough of my own opinions and want yours).

20. Max

I think based on the feedback we will leave it at position 1. Thanks for all your comments.