1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failure to pattern fillets

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by markporter, Jul 9, 2018.

1. markporter

markporter Member

It's possible that I'm using a bad practice here, but I can't get one of my fillets to pattern with the Circular Feature Pattern tool. Fillet one (the lug point) patterns OK, but the fillet (in blue) where the lug joins the ring (Fillet 2) fails with "Target no longer available:com.alibre.design.ops.OperationTargetProxy topologyAutographOrGuid = #23".

Am I doing something wrong here?

Capture.PNG

Attached Files:

2. simonb65

simonb65 Senior Member

It has had this 'problem' for a while and really needs to be fixed!

The workaround or alternate approach (and the best in my opinion) is to fillet as a final operation on the completed model. You could add the fillet at the sketch level in the original pattern before extruding, but I think this becomes less flexible, unless you use a radius equation for all and ensure they are correctly constrained in the event you change the radus (equation value) later down the line!

3. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

I have the impression that for a fillet to pattern connectly _both_ of the surfaces have to be a part of the pattern. If only one of the surfaces is in the pattern then the fillet fails. This could be the case for you.
    Don

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Tou mean like this??

Attached Files:

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

lol... 'for a while'....

Understatement of 2018!

6. Lew_Merrick

Actually, it only requires the correct approach! Look at the file I posted.

7. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

According to AD Help you should be able to pattern the fillets and rounds. But, as has been stated, this problem has been around a while. When I have a problem like this I go back to the sketch of the feature I am patterning and apply the fillet and/round to its sketch. I wouldn't feel too bad about though, today at work I tried to pattern a fillet on a part and was promptly told by SolidWorks that it was not allowed.

I'd suggest sending the part to Alibre Support to see what they can come up with as a solution.

filletPattern.png

Attached Files:

8. markporter

markporter Member

Thanks to Lew and Harold for your suggestions. What troubled me was that when using the same approach on the mating part, everything was OK.

I have raised a support ticket with the two models attached.

Attached Files:

9. Nick952

Nick952 Member

Based on the mating part working as expected, I reduced the Lug extrusion by 0.0005" and the Fillets patterned perfectly,

Attached Files:

10. simonb65

simonb65 Senior Member

So why can't you do a feature pattern or mirror of a portion that contains a shell ?? See Attached ...

upload_2018-7-10_17-59-2.png

... and No, I don't want to approach it in a more convoluted and manufacturing process way, I just want to design this symmetrical segment and let Alibre (or and CAD for that matter) do the rest! That's what CAD is designed for ... reducing your workload and effort figuring it all out!

Attached Files:

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

Remember Shell applies to the entire part when it is applied - so patterning a Shell is likely to give 'interesting' results - you could take that first shelled section and Boolean it (including patterning ) to give the finished item.

12. simonb65

simonb65 Senior Member

Hi David, This is just an example of a simple workflow vs engineering the workflow, surely the shell only acts on the features above it in the explorer, and so mirroring it or patterning it should do just that, create exact copies (new instances) of those selected features (and their resulting actions) with geometric transforms applied. I don't see, mathematically, any difference in patterning another type of feature that is geometry dependant on it's preceding features too.
    BTW : I don't need a real solution for this, it is just an example and I would do it differently if needed but in a more long winded fashion that Alibre can currently cope with.

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

The Shell is a feature in itself - the instances in the pattern will try to apply to everything that is in place. Remember this is history based CAD.

Sometimes you have to break the history to prevent attempted shell of a shell of a shell...

Attached Files:

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

Think of it as the difference between following the rules 4 times, compared to copying the result 4 times - depending upon the tools used the 2 answers are not necessarily the same.

15. Lew_Merrick

Simon -- Think of it this way, you would not machine one-quarter of a Pocket, machine other features and then return to machine a different quarter of the Pocket (etc) to make a Part? What makes designing in the process that will make the Part such a problem? This is an arena where using Equation Editor variables simplifies things greatly.