1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ext. Thread

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Design-All, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Design-All

Design-All New Member

I just started using 2018, I take it you canNOT create ext. Threads on revolved solids?
    Only extruded?

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

You can place external treads on revolved solids. There can't be any features (holes or protrusions) on the face associated with the edge you select for the external thread.

This restricts which order you can create things in at times.

3. Design-All

Design-All New Member

I just tried a simple hollow revolved solid and it did work, But with the more complicated revolves I have been working with it does not let you select edges to make thread from

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

As I mentioned earlier - end face must be free of features (though a chamfer is OK) - holes or protrusions (e.g. a thicker or thinner part of the shaft) prevent the external thread tool working.

5. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Ah, you mean like unto a Shoulder Screw?

6. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

My $0.02 worth is that the Treading Tool should be a separate Feature Creator (and allow for a much "expanded" set of Thread Types). Thus, a Tapered Thread (such as a Pipe Thread) should actually taper. More to the point, the Model of a Threaded Feature should show (in a contrasting color) the Major Diameter (for internal threads) or the Minor Diameter (for external threads). This would make Threaded Entities immediately obvious (when views withing Alibre)! Can you imagine the advantages that would accrue?