1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earn some Frequent Alibre Miles

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips from the Community' started by Max, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Fellow Alibre-eans?! ,

Your tutorial could be featured in a newsletter. If it is, you get 3 months of subscription service for free. Even if you aren't on it already! That means if you aren't on it and write an amazing tutorial, you could get the next version free.

What we're looking for:

1) Production Values : take pride in what you're doing. Don't have bad screen shots or poor text. Write it with the intent that a total newbie can understand it. Make it something you believe in. PDF outputs are the best. If you can't output to PDF, send us a word doc at marketing@alibre.com and we can convert it for you. PDF is king - we are offering to do that work for you - no excuses. ;) Why? People like to print them out and work from paper. That's cool with us.

2) Valuable: make it something that is useful. That doesn't mean it has to be long. Heard a question 200 times? BAM. Tutorial.

3) Explain WHY. Now just how. The extent to which you do this well will probably rise above the previous two criteria in terms of applicability to our newsletter.

Those with a proven track record of the best tutorials will get something extra special. More to come on that - but if you use Alibre Design you will enjoy it.

Get crackin'.

Max

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Max,

I would argue that REQUEST be converted to SOLVED when the appropriate solution tutorial is supplied. That way a record is maintained of solutions that work to aid in building a database of goodies to supplement official tutorials and other documentation.

Also, I am happy to see Alibre adopt that time-tested means of getting results, bribery!

3. swertel

swertel Alibre Super User

Funny thing, learning about yourself, and how little it takes to be "bought."
    Everyone has a price, apparently mine is 3 months free maintenance. :twisted:

4. MikeHenry

MikeHenry Alibre Super User

This is a really good idea. Ralf and several others here would have lifetime subscription service if they converted some of their forum posts to tutorial submissions.

From a personal point of view, I really appreciate at least a brief description about why or why not the suggested solution may be preferable to alternatives. That sort of discussion is probably more appropriate for a submitted tutorial than it is for a forum post.

Mike

Mika likes this.
  5. Max

The primary reason I felt this was best was because I think it would be optimal for someone to see a tutorial in the forum list, click on it, and the first post is the tutorial.

If we do the reply-to-requests method, there may be pages of discussion before the actual tutorial gets posted. Thoughts?

6. swertel

swertel Alibre Super User

You would need to add to the capabilities of this forum. There are plenty of other "help-desk" type forums that allow the original poster to flag the response that solves the problem. The flagged post then shows up 2nd in the stream, regardless of when it was posted. The remaining stream comes after the answer post and flows chronologically.

7. MikeHenry

If Swertel's suggestion is not feasible, I'd prefer to see tutorials as single posts in individual threads. Discussions could be handled in a separate section, maybe the "Using Alibre..." section.

8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

What if someone has a question about that particular tutorial? It would be best to have in the same thread as the tutorial so others can following on it too, if need be. I do agree though that discussions about a topic should stay in the 'Using Alibre' section.

9. MikeHenry

Here's my thinking - threads on just about any forum quickly go off-topic and it would be nice if posts in this new section could be kept strictly on topic. For me it would be most useful if tutorials exist as single posts each in their own thread with some sort of descriptive title that makes them easy to find or discover when browsing the section. That lets one focus solely on the info in the tutorial and not get bogged down in counterpoints or off-topic chatter. Perhaps a a discussion thread in "Using Alibre" could be created at the same time the tutorial is uploaded and a link to that discussion topic included in the tutorial.

Just a thought, since Max was asking for them. A tutorial with lots of inane chatter in the same thread would still be better than no tutorial.

Mike

10. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

How about moving the existing "Tips" thread to this section?

Edit Done.

11. neilr

neilr Senior Member

Question, Are the requests for tuts to be posted in this tread or are you going to create a new thread just for the requests? On the same line are the finished tuts to be posted in individual threads or is there a location you want them posted?

I could use some ideas for tuts so if you know of some that would be good for a newbie to have please request them, even though you don't need them yourself.

12. RCH_Projects

RCH_Projects Alibre Super User

Hi Max,

In the topic "Draw line tangent to a circle or a circle tangent to a line", in the Using Alibre Design forum, the discussion went off-topic.

It was a "parting" woe from the user over what Alibre can't do, but actually does very well in my opinion (and when someone says "Autocad could" - well, you know).

After posting my solution I went back at the break point and re-titled my subject "Tutorial: 2D drawings from Part Sketches or freehand".

If you have no objection may I request/suggest;
    Lock the topic and move "a copy" of my "Tutorial" posts/portion to the Tutorial Forum (with a final post saying this was done to move the discussion there).

I would then;
    Post a new topic in "Using Alibre Design" as "2D drawings from Part Sketches or freehand" and point users to the "Tutorial" forum (where you have copied it) for further discussion - or PM me a suggested topic description, or post your own new topic with brief reference and "Lock it".
    Why? It's a solution that interested buyers would likely only look in General or Using forums; Most current users probably don't now it is available or how best to use it.

I will edit the first post (Mine) in the Tutorial Forum to reflect a "Pending" PDF publication of the final "Polished" tutorial on same first post when complete.

Maybe not the most popular topic but I'll work at that newsletter / something special if you give some feedback on the Beta-PDF quality, or not - (can you?).
    When the PDF is edited into the first post as described, the Topic should be locked and user directed or left to post follow up questions in another forum.

So all the bases are covered, a discussion can take place, the final solution (PDF) is "edited" back into the first post with explanation, and viewers can read down the topic if they want nitty-gritty of any development of the Tutorial.

What do you think?

13. Max

Great idea! I see no reason why you shouldn't do it.

Max

14. RCH_Projects

OK - tell you what.

If you would - lock that Topic, it's done anyway for its stated topic.
    I'll re-post my off-topic posts to the Tutorial forum and set it up.

(Could you consider renaming the forum to something like "Tutorials and Tips from the community", every time I look for the forum I miss it because I'm looking for "Tutorials"?

Thanks!

(Cross-fingers, I'll try for the "special" with my Tutorial series; "Alibre and Excel/Open Office COM use Techniques" :mrgreen: )

15. Max

Forum renamed.

We don't usually lock topics but I'd be happy to insert an admin's edit in the first post of that topic linking to your tutorial when it's complete.

16. RCH_Projects

Cool! 8)

17. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

Can someone please give me an idea of which tutorials posted in this section have made it into the newsletter? I don't get it so I don't know.

I have a couple of ideas for tutorials (complete projects from beginning to end) and I would like to gauge the competitiveness and quality level so I can decide if I have a reasonable chance or not, as they will require a fair bit of my spare time to properly document.

Thanks, Andy

18. Max

You have a good chance. This has been live for a while and we only have a few posts...in fact you may be the de facto winner ;)

19. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Errrrrr. The idea is to share experience. If you are only going to bother if you have a reasonable chance of winning a prize, then.........

20. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

I could post a quick version on my blog where I already share experience. Or I could posted a longer detailed version on here. Max provided the incentive for more detail so if you have a problem with it I suggest you direct it towards him. :lol:

Andy