1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DXF Export

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by RocketNut, May 19, 2018.

1. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

Am I missing something.
    I need to export a part in DXF format, but can not find this format in the export file menu.
    So I ask how can I export a part in DXF format?

2. ajayre

ajayre Alibre Super User

2D DXF export is available from 2D drawings.

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Richard -- What are you trying to Export in DXF?

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

3D DXF has never been supported in Alibre Design - if that's what you are looking for.

5. RocketNut

I used Wizo to create a PCB, which I want to send to my PCB program. Which then I send to my PCB house, to etch the pattern for me.

The PCB program can only accept DXF files, so I to need turn this part into a DXF file.

The bars on the bottom side will be transferred to the bottom layer (GND Plane) of the PCB and the bars on front (data bars) will be the top layer.

The part file is to big to upload so here is a link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/i63329s4a08kctj/DeicerUnitSelectorPCB.AD_PRT?dl=0

I have include the Wizo script if any one wants see how I did it. Any comments will be welcomed.:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

Hi Rocket,
    I export to DXF like this:
    - Make a drawing with scale 1:1 on a blank page.
    - Export that to DXF.

As far as I know it is not possible to export DXF directly from a 3D object (which is normal to my thinking as DXF is a 2D format).
    Don

7. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Richard -- You mean like this? You Export it fro, the Drawing -- not the Part!

Attached Files:

8. RocketNut

Thanks

Converting to a drawing and saving it as a DXF worked.

9. MikeHenry

MikeHenry Alibre Super User

A CAD program from another company that I use once in a while allows the user to left-click on a part's face and export directly to a DXF file. That's proven very handy for me lately. Has Alibre given any thought to incorporating that sort of feature into the program?

jfleming, jack_, simonb65 and 2 others like this.
  10. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

I like this Idea!!

+1 +1 +1 :D

11. H-L-Smith

H-L-Smith Senior Member

I'd like to piggyback onto this thread with a related, but different question. Have any of you successfully used the 2D DXF export to send parts to vendors doing laser, waterjet or CNC cut outs of planar parts?

There is a vendor near me that uses a waterjet machine to cut out parts from plate materials. They require the parts to be sent electronically in DXF format. They prefer to arrange the DXF-defined parts for efficient cutting in their own software. It sounds like the Alibre export from a blank drawing as Don (dwc) described it should work. Has anyone tried such a thing?

Are there any "standard" settings for DXF files that I should be aware of, and honor, in my exports from Alibre? I'm not familiar with the internals of DXF at all other than to know it's a standard Autocad format.

Thanks,

12. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Make sure the views you provide are scaled 1:1, otherwise you may be surprised at what gets made from your file. And select a version of Acad DXF that they can open on the receiving end, there are several listed in the export file type list. Usually Acad 2000 works but you should ask which they prefer.

13. H-L-Smith

H-L-Smith Senior Member

Thank you, Harold.

Cheers,

14. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

As Harald said, 1:1 scale and ACAD DXF 2000 and I have never had a problem.
    Don

15. H-L-Smith

H-L-Smith Senior Member

@dwc

Got it, Don. Thank you.

16. MainJet

MainJet Member

If you send your file to get cut/made somewhere ALWAYS add at least on dimension as not all CAD programs export/import the the same dimensions

bigseb likes this.
  17. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Yes! A big +1 for this!

18. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

Yes, of course, without a question.
    I always send a dimensioned drawing pdf along with any computer readable files as one never knows what havoc updates etc. can cause.
    Don

19. RocketNut

Thanks for the info.