1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drawings demanding to be saved when no changes have occurred

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by JST, Feb 11, 2020.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I have many drawings in new version that EVERY SINGLE TIME I CLOSE THEM they pop up a message that says I changed something and need to save the drawing. Never mind that I opened it to check something, and the fact that none of the drawings have been changed... no, it STILL wants to be saved.

I am aware that a change to a BOM, or to a part on another sheet can trigger that on any sheet the part is shown on. I am talking about situation where that is known not to be the case.

It seems as if saving one tags everything in it as having been edited, and every other reference then needs to be saved. But then saving those seems to trigger the need to save the original one, and around the circle we go. I do not know that to be a fact, I am saying that it ACTS somewhat as if that were so.

I have saved all 4 drawings of a project, gotten that message on all 4, saved them again, and repeated several times, and they still claim that they have all been changed.

I have opened and saved one drawing 5 times in a row, and it still says it must be saved.

OK, you say, that is a minor problem.

YOU WERE NEVER MORE WRONG.

When a drawing is depended upon to be stable, it should be stable. If not changed, it should not ask to be saved. Saving it makes it a new dated drawing, and since the new save date does not match the original, it is no longer the same drawing, even if no edit was made.

And what if you do an actual ECO execution? How do you know the only change is what you did, if the drawing would demand to be saved "because it was changed" even if you just opened it and tried to close it?

Yes, the PDF is the "real" drawing. BUT, the file that generated the PDF is the basis for all changes, and IT MUST BE THE ORIGINAL DRAWING, AND BE KNOWN TO BE THE ORIGINAL. Otherwise there is no confidence that the drawing being changed is the actual one. It might be modified in some non-obvious way, you just do not know that.

So you open it merely to save it as a PDF. It demands to be saved in native format due to changes..... NOW you have a problem. Is there really a change? What is it? Is that change now on the PDF? Sure, you can close without changing, but you do not actually know if the PDF is correct.

This sort of thing causes chaos in the drawing library.