1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drawing sheet move

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by Uman, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Uman

Uman Senior Member

Drawing sheet move

Is it possible to move a drawing sheet from one drawing to another drawing.
    I have two drawings that should be combined into one drawing with sheets 1 and 2. The subject drawings were not created from a model.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Wade Waterman

Wade Waterman Member

I wondered about this question also, hence the repost. In my case I have several parts that make up a unit and I would like to combine them into one "set" of drawings. Is there a way to do it? I'll have to renumber the pages and views but still easier than redrawing. Thanks.

Wade

3. Wade Waterman

Wade Waterman Member

Sorry, should have said, "several drawings of parts that I want to combine"

Wade

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Jeff & Wade,

Let's clarify things here (or at least make the attempt). In the world in which I live and work, parts and assemblies get a 2-portion ID number. The first part of this ID number identifies the customer and project or product and is known as the base ID. The second part of this ID number identifies the part or assembly within that base ID. Thus, referencing a recent project, I will have an assembly identified as STH0100-001 (assemblies get dash numbers of -001 through -099) and parts get dash numbers of -101 through -999. It is quite common in my world to have assembly models (and drawings) that also include parts.

Historically (i.e. before the academics decided that architects were the universal truth of design in 1994), a base ID was the primary document number under which the assembly and all (unique to that assembly) parts were defined were collated into a single drawing. When the academics took over the (ahem( standards' system in 1994, they decided that (A) Bill of Materials listing (as opposed to Parts Lists) were the "appropriate means" of presenting such information and (B) that each individual part or assembly should have its own "document" (i.e. drawing). Unfortunately, the CAD companies of the world glommed onto this misconception as a simplification that would make their operations easier. I can assure you that this "simplification" is at odds with US government contracting standards.

In addition to the issue of integrating base ID assortments into a single drawing, there is the issue of sheet 2 & on title blocks (which are different from a sheet 1 title block) that is not addressed in a useable fashion. This is separate from the issue of item numbers that merely obscure identity information[/b] on a drawing and lead to mistakes.

I wish there were a simple answer, but this whole issue set is buried in an essential mistake promulgated in the underlying operational philosophy that has been foisted upon us.

5. indesign

indesign Alibre Super User

Lew,

Thank you. It is rare to see a well described reason for a necessity. It is true that most of us (myself included at my current job) do not need this basic function as our companies do need to meet these types of industry standards. It is also true that many could use the software in a much more productive manner had the programmers taken just a few extra minutes of their time. I know a person who writes software (all by himself) to run a CNC tool grinder and was required by Sandvik to make simple changes because that is how it is in their world. I asked for years for the same things but it took the right amount of force before a simple programming task would be done to save countless hours for others.

So in this world it just takes the right amount of money to get a small feature change. With that I think we know the only way this will get done is if large user base effected the bottom dollar of 3DS. Good luck though as it took years to get the simple use of the file data to even be utilized and since then nothing.

6. Wade Waterman

Wade Waterman Member

Thank you Lew and indesign, interesting discussion for sure. I'm not sure of the absolute correct format for compiling parts, assemblies and their corresponding drawings and accessory documentation, and I'm guessing that as you say Lew, many companies have their own ideas about how it should work. But right or wrong, I would still like to be able to combine drawings of separate entities into a single drawing with multiple sheets. Without any suggestions, I have to assume that it isn't possible and that brings me back to the original plan of attack for the project and as you fellows have discussed, making an initial decision to either keep everything separate or building on one master drawing which I suppose could be broken down if required. Thanks again, I appreciate your comments.

Wade

7. indesign

indesign Alibre Super User

Sorry to say but drawings until a very few years back were not even part of Alibre's intent but was added due to the large number of requests. Since then there were many changes and improvements as well as many more additional features. Hopefully 3DS will continue to look at the user requests and improve their software. Until then though we keep asking or even begging for some things and others only a few need it so the requests sadly may never even be looked at. Check the suggestions and vote on what you want or add a new one and let everyone know in case they wish to vote for it as well.

8. cdpatten

cdpatten New Member

I have created an assembly and a set of 2D drawings from the assembly. Regrettably, I created each of the 2D drawings in separate AD_DWG files with one sheet per AD_DWG file. Is there a way to combine the individual sheets from each AD_DWG file into a single AD_DWG file with multiple sheets?

9. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Nope.

cdpatten likes this.