1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drawing Issue

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by jfleming, Dec 31, 2020.

1. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Can anyone tell my why the "top" view, on this drawing, extends well beyond the template boundary?

And more importantly, why does it do this? The "front" view does not do it, so why does the "top"?????

It is so frustrating and requires a 3rd-party software just to get the drawing to fit on the 11x17 page size correctly.

Package File attached.

Attached Files:

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

The boundary obviously, and incorrectly, is derived from the full part, not the visible shortened view. This is one area that crops up time and time again on the forum and really needs fixing. The bounds of the selection should only be the extents of the visible rendering and should also not be part of determining the print extents!
    There also seems to be some arbitary margin added around the geometry too, which makes up the selection bounds ... not sure why it is added either. Maybe someone at Alibre can explain these selection boundaries and why they affect the print area.

3. dlaery

dlaery Alibre Super User

did you check the scale?

Attached Files:

4. dlaery

dlaery Alibre Super User

ah, I see, i didn't catch what you meant on the boundary, you mean the Red box in your drawing.

5. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Yeah, whats odd to me is that the front view does not do it. The top view was not doing it either when first created, then at some point when I was almost completed with the drawing and adding all the dimensions, I hovered on that top view and it was suddenly now being derived from the full part.

Very Very Frustrating and yeah, it needs to be addressed.

6. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Here we go again.... I only need a partial view of the Section A-A, but of course the viewport is well outside the drawing bounds, so of course it doesn't print correctly. gahhhhh.... so annoying.

FILE1.JPG FILE2.JPG

7. simonb65

Have you tried moving the Section A-A text label up onto your drawing?

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello jflemming,

first make your section view and then add a braoken view to the section view. Maybe not the best, but...
    upload_2021-4-7_14-59-54.png
    (I've taken a drawing from you from another post of you ;) )

Regards
    Stefan

9. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Thanks now I feel like an idiot. hahahaha. Should have had more coffee this morning

10. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Simon,
    you're absolutely right, i've overlooked this, it was way to low on the screen for me... :)
    Regards
    Stefan

11. simonb65

We've all been there!

12. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I strongly suspect that this is related to the dimension problem, where in some cases the dimensions do not locate correctly to the smaller view size (numbers are OK). There are other items which seem to use the larger "extents" also.

While it CAN be due to something that is in the view and pulled out too far, I see this consistently for some things in broken views. The original problem with dimensions has been fixed, but there are other issues still hanging around associated with dimensioning etc, where the drawing feature is located where it would be if the view were not broken.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021