1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drawing for two parts in an assembly

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by mmtech, Apr 2, 2021.

1. mmtech

mmtech New Member

Hello,

So I am wanting a drawing that shows some details of just one or two parts in an assembly of some number of parts. Essentially a block with a couple of screws through the block, into a base. I want to show the block, with the holes for the screws.

The block is a part in that assembly, the holes were not drawn until the block was added to the assembly because they went through this part and into another (the base). I make a drawing from the block part, either from the assembly model, or the part itself, the holes don't show up.

I discovered that, from the assembly model, I could suppress (not hide) the other parts, and voila, making a drawing displays only the unsuppressed parts (in this case, my block and I left the screws in too). I would prefer not to use a detail view or those - I want the part, with the holes that were added when it was added to the assembly.

Now I can add dimensioning to locate the holes. All good.

I discovered though, that the drawing properties did not follow. I had been diligent about adding the title, and other fields, so they would remain consistent and propagate. Before I go and fill them all in by hand on just this one drawing - did I miss something here?

Also, when I un-suppress the parts back in the assembly, then the drawing wants to update and add back in all the parts I don't need in this drawing.

So I think I'm missing a basic concept here, and pointers to where I can educate myself is appreciated.

Marinna

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

You don't say what version of AD you're using, but if you have 'Configurations', make your reduced assembly a new configuration of the whole assembly. Then create your drawing using that configuration as the base. Then only updates to items that are applicable to the configuration will propagate onto the drawing.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Look at use of 'hide' and possibly also 'isolate part' in the 2D drawing. That will let you 'fiddle' drawing to show only what you want to.

You have to set for any 2D drawing which design file drives the 'properties' display on that sheet - chosen from 'Design Properties' - properties can only come from one file.

4. mmtech

mmtech New Member

Thanks!

An interesting thing happens on the way to making new configurations... my model becomes unmoored from one of its axes... I've seen this before and normally added more constraints to "reign in" the model. Is this the correct approach?

I am on version V22

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

That can happen depending on when and how you add configs and when you add constraints. In particular be aware of locked/unlocked configs.