1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimensioning doesn't happen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jake_Steidy, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Hello All,

So today I have been working on some SMP and then when I go to do a drawing detail I have been having problems with the dimensioning. I have the dimension tool clicked and I then go to do a dimension, say from the edge of a piece of steel to the center mark of a circle. I click see that my first point is highlighted blue, cursor goes pink, then go to click the second line, or point, it highlights both points, or lines, and nothing happens! Has any other user been experiencing this? Does this go back to the centermark versus centerline debacle?

Tried to upload an MP4 of this bug but it isn't an allowable file extension?

Thanks,
    Jake

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Try changing the view from Standard to Draft and see if that helps.

If you can, record a gif anim of your screen. I've done that in the past.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Has Annotations been toggled off? Ctrl+Shift+A

4. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Here is a short gif showing the bug, first I click the centermark of a circle then I click the outside edge. I then show that I am able to dimension by doing the reverse workflow outside edge to center. Let me know what you guys think.

Best,
    Jake

Attached Files:

5. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Hi Jake, are you possibly clicking twice on the center point?

6. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Hello Ralf,

I don't think that would be occurring as the mouse I am using has a noticeable travel before engaging the mouse click, MX Master 2S. After looking at the video more close it may appear that it looks like a double mouse click, but again I would recognize me double clicking versus single clicking. I will try and recreate this bug this morning when I have some time.

Best,
    Jake

7. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Also here is an error I commonly get while dimensioning. Again something I think occurring with the center marks that shouldn't be? This is something recently occuring, doesn't affect my drawings or anything but just something occurring.

You can see in this gif that I am able to do exactly what I was unable to do in the above gif.

best Jake.

Attached Files:

8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I get this occasionally but in part sketch mode. Just assumed it was me working too fast.

Jake_Steidy likes this.
  9. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Sebastian,

I get the same thing in the part sketch mode, it has occurred enough recently to warrant a thread about it. Again nothing Alibre breaking, but something that could be polished if it is indeed a bug.

Best,
    Jake

10. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Good to know. I tend to fly through design jobs which is why the lag issues I brought up are so annoying; I tend to spend a lot of time waiting. Lately though others are talking about lag too so I can't be me...

11. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Hi Jake,

Please send a support ticket with the files and the anim. gif files.

Jake_Steidy likes this.
  12. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Submitted a ticket, will reply with what support comes back with for anyone following.

bigseb likes this.
  13. HaroldL

As a point of reference, when dimensioning arcs and circles I usually select the arc/circle then the line or edge of the part. When dimensioning between arcs/circles you will get the selection dialog which I just hit Enter since the dialog defaults to circle center.

But to your point, i have, in my last project dimensioned circle locations by selecting the center point and have not seen the "bug" that you demonstrate in your gifs. Not saying it doesn't exist though.

14. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Harold,

I know that option is available, but to go through that dialogue each time there is a circle to other point dimension, that would be a lot of extra mouse clicks or enters that aren't necessary and should not have to be.

I have not been able to recreate the bug either, yet, and neither has support. I have encountered this bug at minimum 3 times on separate days with separate files in the past three weeks. I am confident I will encounter it again in the near future, and I plan to detail anything that could cause it.

Best
    Jake

15. HaroldL

Jake,
    I agree that there are extra mouse clicks, that's why, if I am dimensioning from the circle to a line I select the circle first then the line, that way you don't get that options dialog. If dimensioning between circles I just hit Enter key on the number pad with my thumb although a RMB click to accept would be nice. It would also be nice to assign a macro to the RMB for "Enter" but that would mess up the RMB Menu for other functions.

edit:
    After giving this a bit of thought it came to me that I have a Space Navigator that does have Radial Menus. I just need to assign a Custom Radial menu for Alibre that has the keys I need most, like Home, Enter, and Delete. I left Properties on to call up the Navigator properties. AND I still have a second button the I can program another Radial menu to. One feature of the radial menus is that you can choose between 4 or 8 commands for each.

Radial Menu.png

When I was working I did the same for SolidWorks and programmed the bottom button for Zoom Fit, which the Home key does in Alibre. As tested it works just fine. Just some new muscle memory to develop to become real productive but it has promise.

You can also assign macros to the menu buttons so it looks like there is some untapped potential there.
    (Let's see -- 2 Navigator buttons, 8 buttons per menu, 8 macros, what can I do with macros now, Hmmm.)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    TimoCAD and Jake_Steidy like this.